Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Publish to Web option - Missing?

I just created a new app workspace "Rodneys World"

I uploaded a very simple sample pbix file and wanted to test "Publish to Web" and add this to a wordpress site.

When I go to the report I dont see the "Publish to Web" option at all?

test.jpg

I see I can securely embed the report, but just no publish to web for public option?

I do see this option in OTHER workspaces, so not sure if that makes a difference?

Am I missing an option?

6 REPLIES 6
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

• Reports using row level security.
  • Reports using any Live Connection data source, including Analysis Services Tabular hosted on-premises, Analysis Services Multidimensional, and Azure Analysis Services.
  • Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.
  • Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.
  • "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.
  • Exporting Data from visuals in a report, which has been published to the web.
  • ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visuals.
  • Reports containing report-level DAX measures.
  • Single sign-on data query models.
  • Secure confidential or proprietary information.
  • The automatic authentication capability provided with the Embed option doesn't work with the Power BI JavaScript API. For the Power BI JavaScript API, use the user owns data approach to embedding. Learn more about user owns data.

Under Admin Portal, admin has the permission to enable or disable "Publish to Web" for entire organization. So please contact with your Power BI Admin to check whether he disabled this feature.

3.png

You can learn more about publish to Web: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web#how-to-use-publish-to-web.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the replies

I think I may know what happened, and it may fall under this category

• Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.

What I did was I logged into the Power BI service, and chose "Get Data"-> Build on existing datasets -> Published datasets -> And I created a new report in my workspace based on this published dataset

When I tried to "publish to web" the option is NOT available

BUT in the same workspace, when I upload a brand spanking new dataset and create a report, THEN I have the "publish to web" option

So I am assuming that even though I technically created both reports brand new - One of the reports is using data from a source that is already uploaded vs the other report I uploaded the dataset into the workspace directly.

So I guess technically the first report falls under the "shared" category?

@v-xicai 

Hmmm - So your saying that you were able to "Publish to Web" on a report with a pre existing data set from a different workspace?

I was NOT able to "Publish to Web", if I built a brand new report in a workspace BUT with a dataset from a different workspace.

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

>>What I did was I logged into the Power BI service, and chose "Get Data"-> Build on existing datasets -> Published datasets -> And I created a new report in my workspace based on this published dataset

Based on my test following the steps above, the new create report which is based on the published dataset has the "Publish to web" option. You may check other limitations.

You can learn more about the Published datasets:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-across-workspaces#considerations-and-limi....

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

That makes sense it could be due to a shared report.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I am going to take an educated guess that your Power BI Admin has removed the access to publish to web.

I would suggest contacting whom ever that person is and see if that settings has been disabled?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors