Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djh
Frequent Visitor

Publish to Web missing?

I've seen quite a few youtube videos and posts about a feature to publish to web, but on my menu, this isn't there, just sharepoint.

Basically, i want to share a report to people outside my organisation, and just give them a link. Has this feature been removed?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Administrator may have disabled the option to Publish to web in the Admin Portal. Contact the administrator in case this is what happens.
However, there are more secure ways to share a report / dashboard. Check out the following link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

Before posting on the web, keep the following warning in mind:

"When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. Only use Publish to web with reports and data that the anyone on the Internet (unauthenticated members of the public) should be able to see. This includes detail level data that is aggregated in your reports. Before publishing this report, ensure you have the right to share the data and visualizations publicly. Do not publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing"

Regards.

View solution in original post

Hi there

The other option that I have seen people use is to embed the reports into another website and then use a Power BI Azure SKU, and then handle the reporting in that manner.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-embedded/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Administrator may have disabled the option to Publish to web in the Admin Portal. Contact the administrator in case this is what happens.
However, there are more secure ways to share a report / dashboard. Check out the following link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

Before posting on the web, keep the following warning in mind:

"When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. Only use Publish to web with reports and data that the anyone on the Internet (unauthenticated members of the public) should be able to see. This includes detail level data that is aggregated in your reports. Before publishing this report, ensure you have the right to share the data and visualizations publicly. Do not publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing"

Regards.

Hi there,

Further to add onto this, I would suggest sharing externally via the App's.

This will give you more granular control and ensure that the people you share with externally can only see the reports. If you send the Publish to Web link externally, they can send that onto anyone who will also be able to view the data.

Power BI Blog

djh
Frequent Visitor

Basically, i'm trying to work out how i can share with external parties who don't use Power BI, so won't have a pro licence.

I understood the web option would allow this. Is there any other way? or would anyone require a licence?

Maybe even embedding in a separate website?

Hi there

The other option that I have seen people use is to embed the reports into another website and then use a Power BI Azure SKU, and then handle the reporting in that manner.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-embedded/

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors