Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JdL42
Advocate I
Advocate I

Publish to Web does not work anymore ?

Hi,

The PBI service changed recently. No more option "publish to web" (french version). Is anyone in the same situation ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mihart
Employee
Employee

@JdL42,

Hi,

Just checked and I still have it. 

1. Has Publish to Web been disabled by your admin (in the Admin portal it's under "Tenant" settings)
  2. Do you have edit permissions?  If it's been shared with you, you won't be able to pubish to web
  3. Does it rely on RLS?  If so, can't publish to web.

Check out this document, https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/.  It may help you figure out why it's not working for you.

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

1. Reports using row level security.

2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.

3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.

4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.

5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
opereira
Frequent Visitor

Since yesterday (6/20/2018) when I publish a pbxi is going to wonderland. I'm using enterprise powerbi professional. Bedore yestarday I was able to publish either Power BI online ( Government or commercial) not anymore. At least i can not see that is going to onlie Government because the commercial I'm in loop to access the workspaces ( before I can able to do that).

mihart
Employee
Employee

@JdL42,

Hi,

Just checked and I still have it. 

1. Has Publish to Web been disabled by your admin (in the Admin portal it's under "Tenant" settings)
  2. Do you have edit permissions?  If it's been shared with you, you won't be able to pubish to web
  3. Does it rely on RLS?  If so, can't publish to web.

Check out this document, https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/.  It may help you figure out why it's not working for you.

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

1. Reports using row level security.

2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.

3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.

4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.

5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

@mihart,

What you say is true, and it helps me !

"Publish to Web" was not possible. Then I checked why:

-There was a live (SharePoint) connection and I replaced in with a XLS dataset. Didn't work still.

-There was RLS (8 roles), I deleted them all. >IT WORKED 

Thank You, and for those who read us, don't forget to DESTROY RLS in Power BI desktop if you want to "Publish to Web" and enjoy "Power BI embedded" capabilities.

Thanks again

@augustindelaf,

Glad I could help  🙂

Michele

Have this problem today in Paris on ONE Pbix  ...

Stupid: my report had RLS (it was a test and i had forgotten).

Glad you figured it out 🙂

Thank's so much for these informations. I think that point 2 & 3 are ok (it just works until last week) but I'm not so sure that the admin in my company changed something on the paramater. I wrote to the admin to have an answer about that point. In the same time, I've never the Admin portal. Do you access to this portal in PBI or O365 ?

I have my answer : the admin of my company changed the rule and doesn't accept the webpublishing anymore. I can understand the question of security but it was the only way to have the reports in our SharePoint websites. I'm so sad. A lot of my collegue found great this new way to have reports and information...

I can even publish everything I had the report no problem till starting of this week!

Has anything change from PowerBI due to recent release of Premium Edition, or simply because our Admin changed the permission.

If you mean that this option is not offered in the Report menu on the Power BI service, it may be that you have used an option that prevents it, such as using RLS row level security ...
FuhaiLiu
Frequent Visitor

You are absolutely right. I added a dummy role group for testing purpose earlier, and it prevented the publish function. 

All fixed now. Thanks! 

Hi @JdL42

Not everyone has access to the Admin portal unfortunately.  Check out this article:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-portal/

HTH,

Michele

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors