Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publish to Web - Security Questions

Hi, 

I have a situation where the dashboard will be public has a map visualisation that uses longitude and latitude data - Is it possible to show this visualisation without revealing the longitude/latitude data at all?

For a report that was published to web, I have added the following restrictions in Power BI:

• The visualisation (map) in mind has its Visual Headers disabled.
  • Can't right-click the visualisation to "Show as a table", due to the map's right-click interaction.
  • The tooltip has been replaced with a customised tooltip (that doesn't include longitude/latitude).
  • The longitude/latitude data isn't used anywhere else in the dashboard.

1. If it is published to web, is it still possible for users to access the longitude/latitude data?

2. When it is published to the web (i.e. https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=..... ), are there any data security vulnerabilities? Is it still possible for users to access this data at all?
e.g. Pulling data using API/GET/POST/etc.

Would really appreciate the help

Thank you,

Adrian

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The limitations of publish to web is that viewers cannot download or extract the data.

As long as your columns are hidden the viewers should not be able to see the lat or long.

With that being said it is plotted on a map where the viewers will be able to zoom in and find the location on the map!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,You have done some restrictions to manually control the appearance of latitude and longitude in the report. In fact, there are not as many interactions on the publish to web report as on the PBI, such as ‘show as a table’ you set.

You can try not to share the link first, and then check whether the content of publish to web meets your requirements, and make changes.Generally speaking, the content that cannot be seen in the reading view mode on the PBI service is also invisible on 'publish to web'. After the requirements are met, the link can be shared. At this time, everyone who knows the link can see the content without permission. Also, Users can't use other methods to extract unseen data.

Reference link:Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ and @v-janeyg-msft ,

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm glad that this will restrict users from viewing the longitude and latitude data.

Unfortunately the map zoom issues that @GilbertQ mentioned will be a concern, but I'll post this as another question.

Thanks again for both of your help, really appreciate it,

Adrian

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,You have done some restrictions to manually control the appearance of latitude and longitude in the report. In fact, there are not as many interactions on the publish to web report as on the PBI, such as ‘show as a table’ you set.

You can try not to share the link first, and then check whether the content of publish to web meets your requirements, and make changes.Generally speaking, the content that cannot be seen in the reading view mode on the PBI service is also invisible on 'publish to web'. After the requirements are met, the link can be shared. At this time, everyone who knows the link can see the content without permission. Also, Users can't use other methods to extract unseen data.

Reference link:Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The limitations of publish to web is that viewers cannot download or extract the data.

As long as your columns are hidden the viewers should not be able to see the lat or long.

With that being said it is plotted on a map where the viewers will be able to zoom in and find the location on the map!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors