Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Publish to Web Data Model

Will using publish to web potenitally expose the data in the model and allow someone to gain access to that data? Or is access limited to just what is shared via the visualizations in the report?

I have a report, that is built from a model that contains sensitive data, but only non-sensitive data are share in the report visuals.

Will the data from the model still reside in our tenant? I am assuming only data from the visuals would go 'outside' the org.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @SeattlePowerBI ,

Technically, you are not giving them access to the dataset... BUT, publishing to web is putting something out there for the world to see.  I wouldn't publish anything to the web if there was even the hint of sensitive or private data in it.   I give you these two notes from Microsoft:

Warning

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Note

You can embed your content securely in an internal portal or website. Use the Embed or Embed in SharePoint Online options. These options ensure that all permissions and data security are enforced when your users view your internal data.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SeattlePowerBI ,

You can create embed code for Power BI reports using “Publish to web”. Then you can use this code in web pages. Everyone can reach out for this report and interact with it. But they can not edit the report.

The security system published to the web has all modern security facilities, which is quite secure. However, we should also pay attention to external attacks and try not to publish sensitive data to the web. There are many ways to share power BiYou can imbed into your application or Sharepoint, , you can publish to Power BI Service, you can publish to an on-Premises report portal, you can share PBIX files, etc.

For the related content of publish to web, you can check the following link, hoping to help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

https://www.pbiusergroup.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=f210f127-...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @SeattlePowerBI ,

Technically, you are not giving them access to the dataset... BUT, publishing to web is putting something out there for the world to see.  I wouldn't publish anything to the web if there was even the hint of sensitive or private data in it.   I give you these two notes from Microsoft:

Warning

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Note

You can embed your content securely in an internal portal or website. Use the Embed or Embed in SharePoint Online options. These options ensure that all permissions and data security are enforced when your users view your internal data.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors