Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hs734

Publish report in different tenant before connecting to dataset.

Hi, I am managing Power BI dataset and report using power shell. I have a requirement that publish pre-built dataset and reports to power BI service for differnt customer (different azure tenant/different email domain). What I normally do is, I create a report from a published dataset and then publish the report to service. This is working fine. But the problem is, lets say, I have deleted the the workspace and then publish the dataset and report in a new workspace. In this case dataset get published without any issue. But reports do not get published. Same problem faced if i try to publish the report in different Azure tenant. In short, the report always try to find the workspace and dataset from which it was created and report do not get published published if the workspace is deleted, enen if the dataset available the the new workspace where I want to publish the report.  Is there any way to publish a pre-built report file before connecting it to a dataset first?

Thanks.

Saj.

3 REPLIES 3
hs734

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, but still its looking for the workspace(and dataset) from which report was created originally. But I need to publish the report to new workspace and dataset.

I forgot to ask - is this Premium or Shared capacity? P SKU or E SKU?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can create a report that is attaching to somebody else's dataset, but that would still have to be in the same tenant. A PBIX file is a dataset with a report attached, not a report with a dataset attached.  Technically you might be able to use ALM Toolkit or similar to separate the report meta data from the dataset metadata, but then you're stuck again.

Have you considered using PBIT files? Power BI Templates are dataset definitions without data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors