Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

h8pvmt
Frequent Visitor

Publish not updating new data columns

Hi,

I've added new columns to a data set in Power BI Desktop.  When I publish and confirm to replace the existing data set the new columns do not show up on PowerBI.com.  How do I resolve this?

Thanks.

Al

9 REPLIES 9
meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Could you refresh the browser to make sure there is no session level cache in the play?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OK, I just tested this and it is working fine in my tests. Published a PBIX file, went to data set page to view fields. In Desktop, created a new field, publish. Refresh browser and it is there. Going to try adding a new column that isn't a calculated column.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

OK, tested this adding a column to the source and then carrying it through.  Same steps as above, publish data model, go to source, add column, refresh query, new column in data model, publish, refresh browser, new column in service.

One thing, are you sure that there is nothing in the query that might exclude those new columns? Are you certain they are making it into the data model?

Latest book!:

Thanks for the reply (sorry for the delay).  It is a calculated column that I added to my pbix model -- apologies for not being specific as I didn't know that was an issue.  So what I'm hearing is that the only way to get a calculated column to show up is to delete the old model on PowerBi.com and the publish again from PowerBI Desktop, correct?  And doing so means all reports/dashboards would have to recreated, correct?  Bugger.

Thanks for any workaround suggestions you may have.

Al

So, not exactly. There are two conditions, both of which must be true to run into this. If you add calculated columns and then try to add a column to your source data import, it wilk not be imported into the model until you remove your cacalculated columns and do a refresh. That is the only instance ththat I know of where you run into this.

That said, it is quite painful when you run into it  

Latest book!:

I found a better work around for anyone that sees this. Instead of removing all calculated columns, add a new "fake" one. This schema is updated and all data shows up after a refresh.

I tried out the below and it worked

1. Created Sales.pbix in Power BI Desktop and published.

2. Add a calculated column using the New Column ribbon button under Calculations ribbon group

3. Published the file and clicked the URL to open up the report. Clicked 'Edit report' and saw the new Column right away.

@h8pvmt

Your issue sounds like the same one that @Greg_Deckler answers in this thread. Give that work around a try.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Can-we-update-the-dataset-without-deleti...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Actually, I think this sounds like another thread where someone updates their Excel file on their OneDrive and the new stuff shows up an hour later, I'm going to test this and report back.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors