Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

'Publish' different reports in an app for differnet users to see

I have built several reports in an app workspace and published this as an app.

The reports are generally departmental, so there's a Finance report, HR report etc. (all using the same dataset).

I now need to 'publish' these reports so that only the relevant users can see the relevant reports. The plan was to embed each report into SharePoint on a different page that only these users can see - however when I go to file -> embed in SharePoint Online from the app workspace my users can'ty see this. I was of the understanding that as a premium workspace, that is using a published app, this would allow users with a free licence to see content from this app.

Extra info:

I am using a Premium workspace

The end users have only the free licence (actually I'm testing with a user with a pro licence and they couldn't see it either)

The dataset is coming from a spreadsheet (the data is initially coming from InfoPath forms libraries, but as Power BI can't connect to these I need to take the data via a spreadsheet).

What I don't want to do, is create mulitple apps and multiple datasets.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Below are your two options:

1. Having separate workspaces for each department and having department specific reports in those workspaces (Eg: HR, Finance, Sales) and moving the reports accordingly and adding users based on the department to the respective workspaces. Each WorkSpace under Pro license can hold 10 GB of data with each dataset being less than 1GB.
  2. Have role level security on each of the reports. For HR Report - Have RLS set and add only HR people to that, for Sales do the same and have only Sales people added to the Row Level Security. This can be done in the same workspace and is the only way to give users access to certain reports and not the others while having the reports in the same workspace

Since your WorkSpace is already in Premium capacity I would suggest the second option. 

Thank You

View solution in original post

Thanks for your response - which has worked - with the exception that instead of using my Excel file as a dataset in the app workspace, I had to create a .pbix file in Power BI Desktop with the Excel file as the dataset, then use the .pbix file as the dataset and now RLS worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@PetyrBaelish,

Check this thread and see if any of the info is helpful.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately everythign I seem to try fails.

First of all I'm using Power BI Service (online), not Power BI desktop. I'm unaware of any means of using Power BI desktop to connect to my app workspace in Power BI Service.

My dataset is in Excel and RLS isn't applicable.

To restate what I'm trying to achieve - I'm using an App Workspace, it has multiple reports (but one dataset) and I want the access to those reports to be different for different goups of people. Is this possible?

It's a premium workspace.

Below are your two options:

1. Having separate workspaces for each department and having department specific reports in those workspaces (Eg: HR, Finance, Sales) and moving the reports accordingly and adding users based on the department to the respective workspaces. Each WorkSpace under Pro license can hold 10 GB of data with each dataset being less than 1GB.
  2. Have role level security on each of the reports. For HR Report - Have RLS set and add only HR people to that, for Sales do the same and have only Sales people added to the Row Level Security. This can be done in the same workspace and is the only way to give users access to certain reports and not the others while having the reports in the same workspace

Since your WorkSpace is already in Premium capacity I would suggest the second option. 

Thank You

Thanks for your response - which has worked - with the exception that instead of using my Excel file as a dataset in the app workspace, I had to create a .pbix file in Power BI Desktop with the Excel file as the dataset, then use the .pbix file as the dataset and now RLS worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors