Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EvanYates
Helper I
Helper I

Publish a PBIX into an alternate tenancy.

We have a partner company with its own Power BI tenancy. They have found some of my reports to be applicable to their business and have asked if I can publish the PBIXs into their tenancy for them to use directly (and also to use a basis for their deriving some of their own reporting in future.)

They have granted my account (in our tenancy) Admin rights to the Power BI workspace in their tenancy. How do I publish from Power BI Desktop to their tenancy? Their Workspace does not appear in my list of Workspaces in Power BI Desktop when I hit the "Publish" button, even though they have granted me access to that workspace. 

The underlying datasource is based on an Azure SQL Server database connected to a system that both companies use, so they can be given network access to that, but I don't want to share the connection credentials overtly. I would prefer they stay within the PBIX itself.

They want me to be the source of the Power BI objects as they don't have anyone with Power BI admin training in their tenancy.

Is this "cross-tenancy" publishing even possible? (or advisable?)
They don't want to pay for me to have a separate account explicitly in their tenancy, but are willing to grant me access using my account in our tenancy.

Any hints from admins who mighht have done this previously?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@EvanYates - Yeah, trust me, this is SUUUUUUPER annoying let me tell you. The short answer is that you need a login in their tenant. Trust me on this, I have gone round and round with Microsoft support on this one and that's currently the only way.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@EvanYates - Yeah, trust me, this is SUUUUUUPER annoying let me tell you. The short answer is that you need a login in their tenant. Trust me on this, I have gone round and round with Microsoft support on this one and that's currently the only way.

Latest book!:

Thanks, Greg.
That is what I initially asked for, but the partner company weren't willing to pay for an extra license in their tenancy. I'll tell them they have to cough up the cash if they want the service. 🙂

@EvanYates Yep, let me tell you, as a consultant this is a big fat pain in the asterisk...

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors