Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publish Report Corrupts Data Model - "...does not hold any data because it needs to be recalc...

I noticed that for one of my data models, the Service encounters an error after I publish a change. I can correct this, but only by manually refreshing the report. The problem is that I often need to add a measure or update the data model, which I cannot do on the Service. I then need to upload the changes to the live environment from Desktop after making necessary changes. When I do so, downtime is a result until I can get on there and refresh manually after the upload.

I also noticed that the data model refreshes automatically after I publish. This is when the error happens (after the automatic refresh). I have to wait for the automatic refresh before I can manually refresh to fix the issue. Future automatic daily refreshes are not a problem.

How can I either (1) create measures right on the service or (2) solve this problem? Again, I have several other reports where this is not an issue, so maybe it is specific to this data model...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-cherch-msft Thank-you for the information. I actually discovered a measure in Desktop that I inadvertently broke. I am not sure why it was only calculated under certain conditions, but I restructured the model to accomodate. Everything back to normal!

Thanks again,

MCKery

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

Measures cannot be created on service.The issue seems like a caching issue.Please have a look at below posts to check if they could help.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Reports-break-when-i-add-a-new-measure-and-re-publish/td-p/148119

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/New-measure-not-appearing-in-power-bi-services-data-set/td-p/138502

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-cherch-msft Thank-you for the information. I actually discovered a measure in Desktop that I inadvertently broke. I am not sure why it was only calculated under certain conditions, but I restructured the model to accomodate. Everything back to normal!

Thanks again,

MCKery

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors