Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Weka
Frequent Visitor

Publish Dashboard to Web or Live refresh on web published report

Hi,

I need to publish to web while also having a live automatic refresh of the data and dashboard (or report).

I have a wall mounted screen which will display the dashboard or report by url in the browser (without logging in).

I seem to have come accross the following limitations.

Dashboard:

Live automatic refresh when the dataset refreshes.

Can't publish to web (users must log in to see).

Report:

No Live refresh, user has to click refresh manually even if the data set is refreshed.

Can publish to web and anonymous users can access.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?  

It seems like it must be a common requirement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

The caching is by design for Publish to Web reports, because they do not know how large the audience will be for these types of reports.

There is no way to change the caching. If you want it to update quicker, then you can use a Power BI Pro licensed account and that will refresh as soon as the underlying data changes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Those are the current limitations of publish to web.

What you could do, is to purchase a Power BI Pro license, which will then allow you to configure the above as required.

Power BI Blog

Weka
Frequent Visitor

I am using Power BI pro on trial and it does not seem to resolve the above limitations.

Hi there

With your challenges above the reports will currently not auto refresh.

Only dashboard tiles will auto refresh.

Power BI Blog

Weka
Frequent Visitor

I managed to get around this by publishing the report to the web and then using a display service (piSignage) that refreshes the page at  a set time interval.

After the dataset is automatically refreshed in the background it takes the web published report somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour to update (or for PBI to stop caching it).

I can't seem to find any documentation on this caching of web published reports or how long it is for.  It would be nice to know the details.

Hi there

The caching is by design for Publish to Web reports, because they do not know how large the audience will be for these types of reports.

There is no way to change the caching. If you want it to update quicker, then you can use a Power BI Pro licensed account and that will refresh as soon as the underlying data changes.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors