cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Publish App - Disable or require approvals to publish

Is there anyway to stop users from using Publish App?

With that banner just sitting there people click it, which is understandable.

However, now we are getting tons of random "junk" apps published out there.

Ideally, we would be able to set permissions on it and we would certify apps before allowing publication to our organization.

I don't want some random person uploading an Excel sheet and then publishing it that is full of garbage data.

We need a way to limit some of this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Publish App - Disable or require approvals to publish

Hi @OneWithQuestion

You can change the settings in the Admin Portal to allow who can create Content Packs and Apps

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
10 REPLIES 10
v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

To disable the 'Publish App' functionality for some specific users, you should assign member role to those users with only view permission.

D0CB6564.PNG

Then, for those users, they cannot publish any file or report to this group worksapce. Also, they cannot see the "Publish App" option when login service.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Just to clarify though nothing prevents a user from creating a group workspace so once they create it they can still publish it because they will own it correct?
Super User
Super User

@OneWithQuestion I think the answer depends on what method of licensing you will be using. Pro vs. Premium...

I'm just thinking off the cuff here, but from my understanding there is an admin/s in the Premium realm that can allow certain people or groups to add app workspaces to the "shared" capacity, thus controlling what apps are available for Free users. In the Pro to Pro scenario, there may not be any, but sounds like a good feature request.

The above is just conjucture though from what I've heard in the public webinars / whitepaper.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Premium realm that can allow certain people or groups to add app workspaces to the "shared" capacity,"

Hi Eno1978, I am interested using "shared with me" to control functionality/rights for the members of the app workspace, so that, member has edit capability but not have 'publish app' capability which will put so many junk apps up to appstore.  Can you provide some direction as to the controling the functionality of the app workspace including 'shared with me' feature which may help control the functionality.

Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I don't completely understand the question. "Shared with Me" will contain dashboard and reports that are shared with the end user. There is no relation between members in a workspace and content in the "Share with Me" area. Apps, are a different way to share and will be found in the Apps section.

In regards to an App workspace, there is only a single app that can be deployed per workspace. If you want to limit the users that can publish apps this should be a permission you can control in tenant settings. There are three areas that allow controls over app creation and distribution, I can't say I've tested your exact scenario, but if you could accomplish what you want, I would start there.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Super User
Super User

Hi @OneWithQuestion

You can change the settings in the Admin Portal to allow who can create Content Packs and Apps

image.png

Power BI Blog
Anonymous
Not applicable

"In regards to an App workspace, there is only a single app that can be deployed per workspace"

-- app work space can publish many apps, I am bit confused why you said only 'a single app' can be deployed per app workspace, it doesn't make sense to me.

If "you want to limit the users that can publish apps this should be a permission you can control in tenant settings".

-- tenant settings->"Push apps to End Users" does not stop users from pushing apps, if the user is member of app workspace.   

"There are three areas that allow controls over app creation and distribution"

-- can you elaborate on these three ares how you would control the developer who is member of an app workspace can be disallow to publish the app.

Thanks in advance for you inputs,

Anonymous
Not applicable

2018-04-05_20-45-11.png        This didn't work for me to prevent developers from publishing the app

Super User
Super User

Hi there the settings only applies to users who are App Consumers. Any user that is added to an App Workspace is a member and members do not get the same settings applied.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 305 members 2,972 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: