Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arichards
Frequent Visitor

Proxy all data requests to a certain domain through a gateway?

In my organization, we have a bunch of internal/on-premise web apis to hit to use with PowerBI. Engineers are easily able to stand up new ones based (and I expect teams to stand up their own endpoints based on projects they're working on) and I'd like them to be able to easily use those in refreshable reports.

After a quick walk through with our PowerBI administrator, it seems like we need to configure each individual site to be set up with a gateway in order to hit it? Is there any way to force all traffic to *.my-company.com/* to just go through a tunnel/gateway (or if that's not possible, all traffic?), rather than needing to set this up for each data source?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, PowerBI Service seems to think the endpoint is a cloud-accessible data source, but it's not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @arichards,

The proxy feature seems not suitable for your requirement, it works to mapping connection to datasource which deploys in internal/private network that connects to 'public' network based on a proxy, it not suitable to redirect requests. (notice: gateway data sources require mapping to static sources)

Configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway 

I'd like to suggest you create an interface or web service to handle redirection of requests, then you can use power bi to get data from this and create reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @arichards,

The proxy feature seems not suitable for your requirement, it works to mapping connection to datasource which deploys in internal/private network that connects to 'public' network based on a proxy, it not suitable to redirect requests. (notice: gateway data sources require mapping to static sources)

Configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway 

I'd like to suggest you create an interface or web service to handle redirection of requests, then you can use power bi to get data from this and create reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently you have to set them up as individual data sources, this is because it has to know what the actual URL is that it needs to connect to.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors