Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LukasM
Frequent Visitor

Properly share reports and dashboards in the organization

Hi everyone,

so in my company we are using PowerBI for a while now. Now that we got most of our reports covered, lots of people are asking about sharing reports or at least elements of them and I came to a point where I don't see a proper way to offer everything the guys are asking for.

So right now there is a separate workspace for each department, so one for Sales, one for Marketing, one for our International Expansion and many more. When we from the BI team are building more tricky reports for other departments, we are either publishing the finished reports into the workspaces of the departments or we are using our own workspace and publishing the report using the APP.

Also most of the departments uses APPs to share their reports as well.

This works great so far.

The use-case that I have on my table right now is that our international department wants to grab some visuals from sales reports and some from marketing reports and put those on their dashboards. This makes sense as international doesn't do anything new on their own. They just look at the same KPIs as sales and marketing, just only for their countries.

Unfortunately, it seems like that's not possible. Pinning to dashboards only is possible with write access and that's not given for all the departments right now. Also you can only pin in the same workspace from what I got.

Do you guys have an idea how to make this possible? We thought about having a shared workspace for everyone where everyone has writing permissions but this will be a mess. The other option could be haven lots of reports the guys have to check each day separately and that's not really cool.

Perhaps you know of another setup that can be used to make sharing and dashboarding between departments possible?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LukasM,

It's not possible. On Power BI Service, the App is actually a content pack for current workspace level. It can't cross multiple workspace. I think currently the best workaround is to create a shared workspace, you can only publish those "expected" reports into this corporate app workspace.

Here is an idea, you could click to vote it up.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LukasM
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

so in my company we are using PowerBI for a while now. Now that we got most of our reports covered, lots of people are asking about sharing reports or at least elements of them and I came to a point where I don't see a proper way to offer everything the guys are asking for.

So right now there is a separate workspace for each department, so one for Sales, one for Marketing, one for our International Expansion and many more. When we from the BI team are building more tricky reports for other departments, we are either publishing the finished reports into the workspaces of the departments or we are using our own workspace and publishing the report using the APP.

Also most of the departments use APPs to share their reports as well.

This works great so far.

The use-case that I have on my table right now is that our international department wants to grab some visuals from sales reports and some from marketing reports and put those on their dashboards. This makes sense as international doesn't do anything new on their own. They just look at the same KPIs as sales and marketing, just only for their countries.

Unfortunately, it seems like that's not possible. Pinning to dashboards only is possible with write access and that's not given for all the departments right now. Also you can only pin in the same workspace from what I got.

Do you guys have an idea how to make this possible? We thought about having a shared workspace for everyone where everyone has writing permissions but this will be a mess. The other option could be having lots of reports the guys have to check each day separately and that's not really cool.

Perhaps you know of another setup that can be used to make sharing and dashboarding between departments possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors