Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agneum
Helper I
Helper I

Proper way to allow Power BI Gateway access to Database?

I have two VMs on my VNET in Azure. One of the servers hosts my Power BI Gateway, and the other one has a SQL server database.

What firewall ports do I need to open on the SQL Server Databse to allow the gateway to talk to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agneum ,

For communication to the SQL Server database engine and for intersite replication, you can use the default SQL Server port or specify custom ports:

1.Intersite communications use:

(1).SQL Server Service Broker, which defaults to port TCP 4022.

(2).SQL Server service, which defaults to port TCP 1433.

2.Intrasite communication between the SQL Server database engine and various Configuration Manager site system roles defaults to port TCP 1433.

3.Configuration Manager uses the same ports and protocols to communicate with each SQL Server Always On availability group replica that hosts the site database as if the replica was a standalone SQL Server instance.

When you use Azure and the site database is behind an internal or external load balancer, configure the following components:

1.Firewall exceptions on each replica

2.Load-balancing rules

Configure the following ports:

1.SQL over TCP: TCP 1433

2.SQL Server Service Broker: TCP 4022

3.Server Message Block (SMB): TCP 445

4.RPC Endpoint Mapper: TCP 135

For more information of ports of gateway and firewall, you can refer this documentation below:

Ports used for connections - Configuration Manager | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agneum ,

For communication to the SQL Server database engine and for intersite replication, you can use the default SQL Server port or specify custom ports:

1.Intersite communications use:

(1).SQL Server Service Broker, which defaults to port TCP 4022.

(2).SQL Server service, which defaults to port TCP 1433.

2.Intrasite communication between the SQL Server database engine and various Configuration Manager site system roles defaults to port TCP 1433.

3.Configuration Manager uses the same ports and protocols to communicate with each SQL Server Always On availability group replica that hosts the site database as if the replica was a standalone SQL Server instance.

When you use Azure and the site database is behind an internal or external load balancer, configure the following components:

1.Firewall exceptions on each replica

2.Load-balancing rules

Configure the following ports:

1.SQL over TCP: TCP 1433

2.SQL Server Service Broker: TCP 4022

3.Server Message Block (SMB): TCP 445

4.RPC Endpoint Mapper: TCP 135

For more information of ports of gateway and firewall, you can refer this documentation below:

Ports used for connections - Configuration Manager | Microsoft Learn

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dcrosseto
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @agneum,

When you say you have two VMs on your VNET, do you mean they are already connected (peering)?

There is a post from Microsoft detailing the whilelist of IPs for PBI Service, check here 

Hope it was helpful.

Regards,

Douglas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors