Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mohsin-raza
Helper III
Helper III

Prolem in making Relationship in Hybrid model.

In this task there are two directQuery models using PowerBI Dataset  and One import Excel file.

One making relationship between Excel table and more than one table in DirectQuery models get the following error msg "To filter a remote power bi data source or Analysis Services data source by reaching more than one table within the island ,which is not supported" .

Can some body help to solve the problem.? I have powerbi pro 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ToddChitt 

Thanks for your comments. The theorical study says that

"In composit/Hybrid model in Powerbi usee the concept of islands as an analogy of where data is queried to understand how data models work in practice.

If you use two DirectQuery data sources, then each of them is a separate island. In contrast, all imported data resides in the same island regardless of where it originally came from, because all imported data is queried from memory. When you connectto data on the same island, you will have the fastest results since you don’t need to “swim” to another island.
You can see different kinds of relationships ordered from fastest to slowest in the following
list:
1:One-to-many intra-island relationships
2: Direct many-to-many relationships
3: Many-to-many relationships with bridge tables
4: Cross-island relationships"

This concept solve my problem by making relationship between two DirectQuery source and One import datasource.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

You can't mash up data between the two. I had a very similar problem. I had a SQL source that simply returned way too much data, and I wanted to filter it by doing a Power Query MERGE (INNER JOIN ) to an Excel query that listed the Customers I wanted. I got a similar error.

I bet you cannot mash up the two dissimilar queries.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ToddChitt 

Thanks for your comments. The theorical study says that

"In composit/Hybrid model in Powerbi usee the concept of islands as an analogy of where data is queried to understand how data models work in practice.

If you use two DirectQuery data sources, then each of them is a separate island. In contrast, all imported data resides in the same island regardless of where it originally came from, because all imported data is queried from memory. When you connectto data on the same island, you will have the fastest results since you don’t need to “swim” to another island.
You can see different kinds of relationships ordered from fastest to slowest in the following
list:
1:One-to-many intra-island relationships
2: Direct many-to-many relationships
3: Many-to-many relationships with bridge tables
4: Cross-island relationships"

This concept solve my problem by making relationship between two DirectQuery source and One import datasource.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors