Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AE_JHI

Programmatically Determine Visualisation Errors Via API (Not UI)

Hi Power BI Community,

Background: I have been tasked with coming up with an automated smoke test to ensure that all Visuals function without failure, post updates to a centralised data source / model.

Scenario: A field has been renamed and the model re-loaded, which causes a generic error to be presented on the report UI: "X Can't display the visual. See details... Couldn't load the data for this visual"

Objective: Without running some sort of UI automation (e.g. Selenium), is there a way for this error to be captured via the Rest API or some other method?

I have tried hitting a number of the API endpoints to see if some sort of failure occurs, but no luck so far - these being:

.../datasets/.../datasources
.../reports/.../pages/ReportSection

From the Rest API documentation I don’t see any way of interacting with the actual Visuals for a given report and page.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AE_JHI ,

Unfortunately, the current version cannot realize this idea. Please submit your idea.
Ideas (powerbi.com)

As you can see in Power BI REST APIs , I think you can only export the data from the visuals, not the error message of the visuals.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors