Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tamerlane
Helper I
Helper I

Problems with on premises gateway

Hi everyone,

For a client I am trying to get the on premises gateway to work, but despite good credentials and stable connections, I receive either one or two of the following messages when doing a refresh through the gateway:

'Unable to connect to data source undefined'

and/or

“It looks like scheduled refresh failed because the on-premises gateway restarted while refresh was happening. Double-check that the data gateway is continuously running for the next scheduled refresh”

A few things I tried:

- I updated the Gateway to the latest version

- I put HTTPS mode ON

- I tested the connections with the Gateway (test succeeded)

- I restarted the Gateway a few times

- I made the serviceaccount (that connects to the data source) a local admin on the server that has Power BI Desktop and the Gateway

- I tested the refresh in Power BI Desktop (succeeded)

- I republished the dataset after all above changes (note: i did not throw away the existing data set when doing this)

Anything else I missed? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would do, is to enable the Verbose logging on the Gateway server and see what errors happen.

You could also enable the monitoring with this link below: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-performance

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Tamerlane 

We may need to know a few things to make sure we fully understand so we can answer your question most accurately.

1. Are you using the personal gateway or the regular (formerly called enterprise) gateway?

2. What kind of data source are you connecting to?

3. In Power BI Service, did you go to the gear icon -> Manage gateways -> then select the datasource and make sure the credentials and everything were set up in the datasource.

If it is an ODBC I have experienced this m

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would do, is to enable the Verbose logging on the Gateway server and see what errors happen.

You could also enable the monitoring with this link below: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-performance

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Sorry for the very late reply, but enabling the logging helped identity the problem. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors