Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

boardstat_beta
Regular Visitor

Problems with PowerBI service settings - ODATA endpoint credentials not updating

I am having a bit of difficulty with an ODATA connection from the PowerBI Service to Socrata, our City's open data portal. I've spent the last three months working with Socrata on this issue and we have traced the issue back to PowerBI Service. Note, PowerBI Desktop works just fine, but service does not.

Background — On Socrata, I have created a filtered view. Recently, we've had to add authenication to access our ODATA endpoint. On the desktop, we're able to edit the credentals and access the data. Then, we publish the updated PBIX.

When we try to get the PowerBI Service to access the Socrata ODATA endpoint, we get a failure / timeout "to update data source credentials."

I have tried adjusting the timeout function with no luck

It looks like the PowerBI service isn't registering changes to the endpoint. I've experiminted with limiting the amount of data from 10,000 to 5,000 and the webservice endpoint doesn't change. Also, I've tried inputting the username and password into the PowerBI service window and still no luck. Everytime I go back to that window, I'm told to re-enter the user name and password. From my point of view, the PowerBI service isn't updating its endpoint nor credentals. The PowerBI service seems to be "locked" with the pre-authentication endpoint and the fact that there shouldn't be authentication.

How does one reset the PowerBI service side of things??

Here are some of our error message....

Failed to update data source credentials: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation.
Activity ID:f97366d2-8d49-34ee-b3f3-261e47104e17
Request ID:6e4d604f-8640-6fb4-59a6-eb50248a5e0d
Status code:400
Time:Tue May 08 2018 10:47:06 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Version:13.0.5172.221
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
6 REPLIES 6
boardstat_beta
Regular Visitor

I am having a bit of difficulty with an ODATA connection from the PowerBI Service to Socrata, our City's open data portal. I've spent the last three months working with Socrata on this issue and we have traced the issue back to PowerBI Service. Note, PowerBI Desktop works just fine, but service does not.

Background — On Socrata, I have created a filtered view. Recently, we've had to add authenication to access our ODATA endpoint. On the desktop, we're able to edit the credentals and access the data. Then, we publish the updated PBIX.

When we try to get the PowerBI Service to access the Socrata ODATA endpoint, we get a failure / timeout "to update data source credentials."

I have tried adjusting the timeout function with no luck

It looks like the PowerBI service isn't registering changes to the endpoint. I've experiminted with limiting the amount of data from 10,000 to 5,000 and the webservice endpoint doesn't change. Also, I've tried inputting the username and password into the PowerBI service window and still no luck. Everytime I go back to that window, I'm told to re-enter the user name and password. From my point of view, the PowerBI service isn't updating its endpoint nor credentals. The PowerBI service seems to be "locked" with the pre-authentication endpoint and the fact that there shouldn't be authentication.

How does one reset the PowerBI service side of things??

Here are some of our error message....

Failed to update data source credentials: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation.
Activity ID:f97366d2-8d49-34ee-b3f3-261e47104e17
Request ID:6e4d604f-8640-6fb4-59a6-eb50248a5e0d
Status code:400
Time:Tue May 08 2018 10:47:06 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Version:13.0.5172.221
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @boardstat_beta,

According to your description, you want report can be changed dynamic based on end users, right?

If this is a case, normal report which you publish to power bi service not support this. I'd like to suggest you take a look at template content pack and dynamic RLS based on users.

Reference links:

Author template content packs in Power BI

RLS with UserName()

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

This is not the type of solution I'm looking for... The problem is with PowerBI online and how it doesn't refresh the source username and password. 

HI @boardstat_beta,

Current power bi service only refresh data, if you change your report or modify credentials on desktop, you need to re-publish to power bi service and update its stored credentials.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I have done this and the PowerBI service doesn't update.

Power Query M has a Soda.Feed that returns a csv file for all SODA API 2.0 endpoints. The good news is that refreshes using Soda.Feed work in the Power BI Service. The bad news is, depending on how complex your queries are and how many SODA endpoints your report is calling, refactoring your queries from Odata.Feed to Soda.Feed is not a trivial task.

Other things to consider regarding Soda.Feed:

1. Works for all SODA 2.0 API endpoints. If some are your data reside behind a SODA API 1.0 endpoint, Soda.Feed won't work
  2. Returns a csv-formatted file, which may not be ideal in certain cases (e.g., there's no 'null' value in a csv file)
  3. Returns all data from the endpoint asset, which means you don't have to page through the data to return all records. It also means you can't filter, group, aggregate, or transform the data at the source -- simple filters, SoQL Queries, SQL Functions,  and Data Tranformation Functions won't work

If you're in a pinch and truly need to refresh in the Power BI Service, try the Soda.Feed.

I hope this helps.

Tony

p.s. I'm working on a Power BI Customer Connector for all SODA API endpoints. See the GitHub repo for more info. Comments welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors