Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

unusedgrade
Frequent Visitor

Problems in updating credentials to an existing PBI Service (BigQuery)

Hello, 

I have an issue with invalid credentials. The dataset was formerly under a deleted email ("The dataset owner doesn't appear to be in Microsoft Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)") and I took ownership of this in order to refresh this and previous credentials are lost. The PowerBI Service gets data from BigQuery. I am unable to refresh credentials/input a new service account credentials (to the same db) as the pop-up does not offer service account login.

Works fine on a fresh PowerBI Desktop though. Is this a feature or something that I can work-around. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Eason,

I was able to resolve this problem. When authenticating/refreshing credentials:

Authentication method: Basic

email: <insert service account email>

password: <insert json-file content (one-line-format)>

This is stated here. I just got confused as there were no service account login. Link to proper documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/googlebigquery#authenticating-through-a-goog...

Cheers!

Edit1: added link

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @unusedgrade 

Please refer to the process in the link below for the takeover of the dataset.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-handle-power-bi-data-refresh-error-refresh-token-expire... 

Try to select OAuth2 in Authentication Method as depicted below and click on Sign in. 

veasonfmsft_0-1652684427562.png

If the popup does not offer service account login, clear the cache or try with other browsers.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

The log-in windows does not offer the service account -option. Tried on 3 different browsers (with/without incognito/private) and cleared cache. The database is on Google Cloud and it uses the BigQuery. Works fine on in Desktop - tried to publish it again, but stops functioning after transitions to BI Service. The snapshot just redirects to google log-in but nowhere where to input .json (no service account log-in).

Thanks for reply!

Hi, @unusedgrade 

I can't reproduce your problem here.

If the problem persists, it is recommended to create a support ticket to let MS engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hey Eason,

I was able to resolve this problem. When authenticating/refreshing credentials:

Authentication method: Basic

email: <insert service account email>

password: <insert json-file content (one-line-format)>

This is stated here. I just got confused as there were no service account login. Link to proper documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/googlebigquery#authenticating-through-a-goog...

Cheers!

Edit1: added link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors