Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

phyten
Helper I
Helper I

Problems Querying Salesforce Objects

I saw that I can connect to salesforce objects via PowerBi Desktop. Now I am trying to get everything going within apps.powerbi.com, I just couldn't find a way to connect to the salesforce objects there. Did I overlook something or is this simply not possible (yet).

10 REPLIES 10
MEclay
Frequent Visitor

@v-shex-msft Yes, you can connect with salesforce objects within power BI DESKTOP.

@phyten is asking if it's possible to connect to salesforce objects via power BI WEB SERVICE.

Is the answer just no? I'm in the same predicament, trying to figure out if I can connect, otherwise I would have to refresh my desktop app and then publish the refreshed version to the web every time I want my users to have fresh data. Of course, this is a ridiculous route as of now.

Hi @MEclay,

>>I'm in the same predicament, trying to figure out if I can connect, otherwise I would have to refresh my desktop app and then publish the refreshed version to the web every time I want my users to have fresh data. Of course, this is a ridiculous route as of now.

I don't know why you can't refresh data at service side, I can refresh data without any problems, below is the steps:

1. Get data from salesforce objects. (Use product mode, sign in account)
2. Create the visuals and publish this file to web.
3. Find out the dataset of salesforce object.(Settings -> Datasets)

4. Edit data source crestionals. (Use OAuth2 mode, sign in account)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-shex-msft I've connected my salesforce credentials via those steps. However, the data is still not updating when I refresh dashboard or reports based on the dataset.

I think this is how it's intended to work though - I notice that it looks like the data loaded in Power BI desktop is stored on my desktop (72MB file), therefore a refresh to salesforce isn't re-pulling that data - it's not really doing anything.

I think the refresh only pertains to data that was originally accessed through the Power BI webservice.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @MEclay,

I think it may related to your network, perhaps you can submit a support ticket.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft Hi,

Can you answer the question of whether or not it is possible to connect to Salesforce Objects (Not Salesforce Reports) via the web service?

And if not, is there a way to refresh a dataset that has been published (from desktop -> webservice) without opening power BI desktop.

These seem like straightforward questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @MEclay.

>>Can you answer the question of whether or not it is possible to connect to Salesforce Objects (Not Salesforce Reports) via the web service?

I can connect to salesforce database on service side and refresh.

Capture(2).PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, but that's connecting to the Reports functionality in salesforce.

There are two ways to connect to Salesforce, at least with many connectors:

1. Salesforce Reports

2. Salesforce Objects

Salesforce Objects let's you connect/retrieve information directly from their database Tables.

The Power BI desktop version shows connections for both Reports and Objects. But when I use web service it just shows connections for Reports - which you have taken pictures of. They are two different things, and I'm thinking that webservice cannot connect to "Salesforce Objects" directly.

Below is a picture of the connections available in Desktop:

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Matt

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @phyten,

On service side, there are three connectors used to connect the salesforce database, You can find them at Get Data ->Services.

Capture.PNG

For detailed information, you can refer to below article:

Salesforce content pack for Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Yeah I already found thos options but I can't manage to connect to salesforce objects with those. Will there be the possibility to do this in the future? Why is it possible within the desktop version but not within the service solution?

Hi @phyten,

Sorry for slow response, I find power bi desktop already contain the salesforce connector, you can find it at "Online Services -> Salesforce Objects".

12.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors