cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
achan87

Problem with single column chart

Hi All,

I have a great problem, when I try to create or deploy from Power BI Desktop a chart with a single column on Power BI online service this doesn't appears and if I change the chart's type in "Card" the text "Blank" appears.
My datamodel uses DirectQuery.
How I can resolve?

Regards.

12 REPLIES 12
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Problem with single column chart

@achan87 Do you have the appropriate gateway installed? Do you have the correct permissions granted on the datasource?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
achan87

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

the gateway works fine, all charts, with two or more columns on same table, work fine. Only charts with one column don't work.
I have done a test:

I have created a chart with purchased products's quantity for customer's gender, the default view with male and female values has two bars but when I filter only the male values (or female values) the bar doesn't appear and the chart is empty.

It is a strange problem, all the "Card" and "Gauge" charts don't work but all other charts with multiple bars work fine.

Super User III
Super User III

@achan87 It sounds like a relationship issue in the model. What does your data look like? Do you have one or multiple tables and are the relationships created appropriately (if multiple). Let me see if I can reproduce this.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
achan87

@Seth_C_Bauer the problem occurs even when I drag only a measure in a blank report, automaticaly a chart is created but it is empty but when I drag a dimension's attribute in the chart the bars appear. 

It's very strange. 

Super User III
Super User III

@achan87 Where are the fields being added in the visual? Nothing will show up unless it's in the "Value" field, and it looks like alot of them default to "Axis" first.

achan87

@Seth_C_Bauer obviously I drag the measure in the "Value" field 🙂 

Super User III
Super User III

@achan87 Had to ask 😛 Let's back up a sec. You say Direct Query, and mention a measure, so you are using either tabular or multidimensional as a data source. Is that assumption correct? 

achan87

No, I use a database on a SQL Server istance installed on a Azure VM.

For DirectQuery I have configured Enterprise Gateway on Azure VM. 

achan87

@Seth_C_Bauer For better explain the problem, I have uploaded a screen:

power BI bug.jpg

The first chart on the right (selcted chart) should show only the "Count" measures of the Fact-Table.

The second chart on the left has the same measure of the first chart of the same fact table but by gender.

The second works fine but the first is empty.

How it is possible?

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors