Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

achan87

Problem with single column chart

Hi All,

I have a great problem, when I try to create or deploy from Power BI Desktop a chart with a single column on Power BI online service this doesn't appears and if I change the chart's type in "Card" the text "Blank" appears.
My datamodel uses DirectQuery.
How I can resolve?

Regards.

12 REPLIES 12

@achan87 Do you have the appropriate gateway installed? Do you have the correct permissions granted on the datasource?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

the gateway works fine, all charts, with two or more columns on same table, work fine. Only charts with one column don't work.
I have done a test:

I have created a chart with purchased products's quantity for customer's gender, the default view with male and female values has two bars but when I filter only the male values (or female values) the bar doesn't appear and the chart is empty.

It is a strange problem, all the "Card" and "Gauge" charts don't work but all other charts with multiple bars work fine.

@achan87 It sounds like a relationship issue in the model. What does your data look like? Do you have one or multiple tables and are the relationships created appropriately (if multiple). Let me see if I can reproduce this.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer the problem occurs even when I drag only a measure in a blank report, automaticaly a chart is created but it is empty but when I drag a dimension's attribute in the chart the bars appear. 

It's very strange. 

@achan87 Where are the fields being added in the visual? Nothing will show up unless it's in the "Value" field, and it looks like alot of them default to "Axis" first.

@Seth_C_Bauer obviously I drag the measure in the "Value" field 🙂 

@achan87 Had to ask 😛 Let's back up a sec. You say Direct Query, and mention a measure, so you are using either tabular or multidimensional as a data source. Is that assumption correct? 

No, I use a database on a SQL Server istance installed on a Azure VM.

For DirectQuery I have configured Enterprise Gateway on Azure VM. 

@Seth_C_Bauer For better explain the problem, I have uploaded a screen:

power BI bug.jpg

The first chart on the right (selcted chart) should show only the "Count" measures of the Fact-Table.

The second chart on the left has the same measure of the first chart of the same fact table but by gender.

The second works fine but the first is empty.

How it is possible?

Regards.

@achan87 Maybe I don't understand what you are showing me, but all I see in your screenshot is 3 columns that appear to be counts/aggregates.

You are saying the bar chart on the left comes from the same table?

It does not appear that you have any relationship between that table, and another, in order to perform any filtering/slicing...

For example. I would expect either all of this to be in the same view/table or you have an ID that relates to your gender table dimension in some fashion. I can only go off what I see, so you may have this, but it isn't visible in your example.

@Seth_C_Bauer the Id with customer dimension is in the fact-table but it is hide 🙂

Is a DAX calculation is being used for [XX Count]? Maybe it's defined so it only returns values when filters have been applied (and returns Blank in other cases)? From the screenshot it looks like a normal numeric field but thought I would check...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors