Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andershh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Problem with removing user from Power BI group

Hi everyone,

I have run into an issue with one of the Power BI groups we use in my organization. The problem concerns removing a user:

PowerBI_UserRemovalProblem.PNG

Every time I delete the user and click save, and then close and reopen the edit group window the user is still there. 

There were some issues when the user signed up for Power BI, which he did using the group invitation link. After signing up he could access the group, but the day after when logging in to the Power BI website he couldn't access the group. Hence the attempt to delete him from the group (so he could be re-invited to the group). When that didn't work we tried to close his Power BI account - but even after doing that his account is still listed as a member of the group.

Since I can't remove him I am kinda stuck here. Do any of you out there have any ideas on what to do in order to succesully remove this user from a Power BI group? 

Many thanks beforehand!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@andershh Can you not just delete the whole group and start Clean. Another option is to go to O365  and see if you can remove it from there as pbi groups are essentially O365 groups.

View solution in original post

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi andershh,

Yes, Power BI groups are Office 365 group type.

We could manage the user and group settings in Office 365 Admin Center. Please check the user group status under Office 365, if the user account is not listed as a memeber, add the user again in Office 365 admin center, then delete it;

If the user account exists, delete it from the Office 365 portal.

After that, the status should come to normal.

Please reply back if you need any further assistance.

Reference:

Manage your group in Power BI and Office 365

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi andershh,

Yes, Power BI groups are Office 365 group type.

We could manage the user and group settings in Office 365 Admin Center. Please check the user group status under Office 365, if the user account is not listed as a memeber, add the user again in Office 365 admin center, then delete it;

If the user account exists, delete it from the Office 365 portal.

After that, the status should come to normal.

Please reply back if you need any further assistance.

Reference:

Manage your group in Power BI and Office 365

Regards

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@andershh Can you not just delete the whole group and start Clean. Another option is to go to O365  and see if you can remove it from there as pbi groups are essentially O365 groups.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors