Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with import Excel sheet to an existing PBIX file

I retrieved a pbix file under the Dataset tab with pre-configured data gateway and auto-refreash. And I'm trying to add an Excel sheet on orgnization SharePoint website to work with. Everything was fine until I published the finished report. The Power BI website shows that refresh was failed, and I opened up dataset setting, the pre-configured data gateway disappeared from the list. If I remove the tables that I imported from that Excel sheet and publish again, the pre-configured data gateway will show up again and I can reschedule the refresh without any problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

If you mean add new datasource to power bi report, it is impossible.  You need to modify these on desktop side and publish to replace original one and configure new data sources to apply these changes.

If you mean append new data to original table, you can direct modify it on excel file side and applied when you refresh on power bi service side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Is there any advanced operations between these data sources? (append, merge, reference query, custom function)

AFAIK, current gateway not support to refresh mixed datasource which contains advanced operations.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't think so. The supplied gateway is out of my control, it is supplied by central information service, and refreash twice a day. I only made the Excel sheet so that I can compare the real production quantities with the daily target. By the way, can I append new data to a scheduled refreash dataset?

Hi @Anonymous,

If you mean add new datasource to power bi report, it is impossible.  You need to modify these on desktop side and publish to replace original one and configure new data sources to apply these changes.

If you mean append new data to original table, you can direct modify it on excel file side and applied when you refresh on power bi service side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, problem solved. Somehow if I share the file on SharePoint in orginzation won't work, but once I use the OneDrive for Business, everything works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors