Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anqa
Regular Visitor

Problem with Service Account permissions

Hello All!

I am really glad to join PowerBI users community!

Recently we have been struggling with PowerBI Server Service Acount section. Let's say I have domain\abc account that I configured to run PowerBI service. That is working fine because account is added to local administrators for server.
However when we remove it from that group and add it only to SeServiceLogonRight, service is up but I receive error about database connectivity. domain\abc is also used to connect to DB, which is hosted on external server. When we add domain\abc back to Administrators and restart PBI service all is working perfectly fine so I suppose this is not something on remote DB side.
In all articles I saw we only need SSRS to run with SeServiceLogonRight, but seems like service istelf needs something more.

I have no clue how to proceed with that as my company policy does not allow any local administrator accounts. All hints are appreciated!

Kind regards,
Anna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GilbertQ !

Problem was resolved by adding domain\abc account into SeBatchLogonRight group (alogn with SeServiceLogonRight). Only then I was able to restore encryption key. PBI log was saying it was unable to validate integrity of encrypted data so that made me thinking into key restore.

Thanks for your answers and hope my solution will help somebody 😊

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @anqa 

Just to clarify is this for running Power BI Report Server and configuration of the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ !

Yes, we are running PowerBI Server on our premises. By service account I mean this section from screen below, but instead of using built-in account we are going with domain\abc.

pbireportserver-configure-account

Only when we add domain\abc to Administrators in snap-in below, we are able to use service:

1641.local_2D00_user_2D00_group

If we have domain\abc only in SeServiceLogonRight group we are able to restart service, but web server is showing database connection error.

Hi @anqa 

From my understanding if you want the Service account to have access to the database you would  either have to add in the Account "Network Service" or use another Service account which has permissions on the Power BI Report Server and database?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ !

Problem was resolved by adding domain\abc account into SeBatchLogonRight group (alogn with SeServiceLogonRight). Only then I was able to restore encryption key. PBI log was saying it was unable to validate integrity of encrypted data so that made me thinking into key restore.

Thanks for your answers and hope my solution will help somebody 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors