Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ralfk

Problem with Codepage / Special character viuialisation

Hello everybody

maybe you can help me with my actual Power BI problem, which causes me a lot of troubles during my first walking attempts with PB:

My datasource is a DB2-database (encoding ISO8859-1).

The preview of the imported data in Power Bi shows problems with german special characters, like ‘ö’, ‘ä’, etc.

PBI 01.jpg

1. tried the following solutions until now:
    checking the general language setting:
    -> set to German
    ->Refreshing the data, but without success

2. adding a custom column in order to adapt the language-problem:
    PBI 02.jpg

But the result look quite similar as the original column…
    PBI 03.jpg
    I  tried several different enodings, but without success.

Can you help me out???

Regards Ralf

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Ralfk,

Based on your information, I'm a little confused about your requirement. 

Do you want to convert the special character in german to standard character?

I'm not good at Power Query, @ImkeF may help you.

In addition, you could share some data sample and your desired output so that we could understand your requirement better and get the solution.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

i'm sorry to confuse you!
Well let's try to give some more details:

These German special characters are already stored correctly in the DB2 -database.

Example:
The town, 'Cologne' is called in German 'Köln'. This is what I wanted to see in my example instead  of these strange symbols....

In general I can retrieve these data out of the DB and visualize it without any problems.
And as I'm working in the same PC with Power BI and other BI-tools, I can not understand what goes wrong .....

I hope to explain my problem a little bit clearer now....

Regards Ralf

Tbh, that's not my strong suit and I also alway play around with different encodings.

Lately I had some cases where 65001 and 1250 worked (I'm sitting in Germany as well).

Otherwise you can try to apply the decoding with an optional parameter in your first import-step already: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/query-bi/m/db2-database 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Imke,

thanks for your reply!

I must adsmit that I have no idea how to implement your advice.....

Is this a function I have to add in the query definition??
query definitionquery definition

Regards Ralf

Hi @Ralfk,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You have to tweak the code where you import from the DB2-database.

Currently it should look like so:

DB2.Database(<YourServername>, <YourDatabasename>)

try adding a "1" in a record at the end:

DB2.Database(<YourServername>, <YourDatabasename>, [BinaryCodePage= 1])

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors