Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jcho10
Frequent Visitor

Problem to work in excel online

Hi everybody,

I've created a .pbix file saved on my local computer. This .pbix is connected to local data sources.

It works well.

I publish this report on Pbi whitout any problem.

I want to create an excel file with this data. 

From this datasets in power bi, i click on "Analyze in Excel".

An exel file opens, i can create pivot table. It's ok.

I saved this excel file on my local computer as well.

My problem is to publish this excel file on my report in power bi.

I Clik on "Get Data", then load this Excel file. 

The excel workbook appears in excel online, but when i want to actualize this file or simply to filter pivot table, i have an error message :

Echec.PNG

Sorry it's in french...

Do you know how we can publish excel file in pbi wich is connected to the dataset ???

Thank you for your help

Sincerely

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jcho10,

If you want to create PivotTable in Excel, then you needn't to create report in Power BI. In your scenario, you can create a workbook which contains the PivotTable. When you create this workbook, please use worksheet data or an external data source, instead of dataset using Analyze in Excel. See: Quick start: Create a PivotTable report.

After creating the Excel workbook, please upload this file to OneDrive-Business. Then you can get data from the this file via Get Data->OneDrive-Business->Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI. Then you can filter the data for this workbook in Power BI, see:

q2.PNG

For more information, I would suggest you review the article (Get data from Excel workbook files) which I mentioned in original reply.

Then you can select the PivotTable in this workbook, pin it to a dashboard in Power BI. Then share the dashboard with other workmates.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jcho10,

In Power BI Service, when we click "Analyze in Excel" button to download .ODC file and do all sorts of analysis with the Power BI dataset in the Excel. The saved new workbook is opening a connection to the dataset in the Power BI. While in Power BI Services, we can only publish or import workbooks into Power BI that have data in tables, or that have a data model.

So if we published the new workbook back to the Power BI, "circle" is generated, we are not able to do filter or any other operation for the workbook. It's expected that the error will throw out. For more information, please refer to Save section in this article: Analyze in Excel.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

It seems to be difficult to publish excel workbook in power bi..

What I would like to do is exactly the same than in this video :

I don't understand why he succeed in publishing his excel workbook, based on the powerbi datasets??? He should have circle problems like me ??

What do you think ?

Thank you and sorry i'm a newbie.

Hi @Jcho10,

As mentioned previously, we are not able to perform any action on this kind of workbook in Power BI Service. We can just pin the table or chart visual to a dashboard.

From the video, you can see the author uploaded this kind of workbook to Office365, then get this Excel in Power BI Service, but he didn't filter the Excel data. He just pinned the visual to a dashboard. As the video was created two months ago, Power BI Service has been updated several times during this time. And you can check the article which I posted in original reply, Microsoft suggest us don't publish this kind of workbook back to the Power BI.

Besides, you can take a look at this article about supported workbook type: Get data from Excel workbook files.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi Qiuyun_Yu ,

Thank you for help.

Could you please help me to find a solution ?

I would like to create a dashboard in Pbi for a customer. Il would to share this dashoard with him.

Unfortunaltly, i'm not very satisfacted about pivot table in Pbi. I prefer pivot table in excel.

So, I would like to complete my pbi dashboard with excel pivot table.

I would like to share this 2 reports with my customer in order he can filter pivot table in excel online...

How should i proceed ?

I've differents files in Onedrive. My Pbix is connected to these files. I 've created differents measures in pbi with this dataset.

Do I have to create the same dataset and measure in PowerPivot in excel in order to publish my excel workbook in Power Bi ?

Is there an other solution ?

Thank you for your help

Sincerely

Hi @Jcho10,

If you want to create PivotTable in Excel, then you needn't to create report in Power BI. In your scenario, you can create a workbook which contains the PivotTable. When you create this workbook, please use worksheet data or an external data source, instead of dataset using Analyze in Excel. See: Quick start: Create a PivotTable report.

After creating the Excel workbook, please upload this file to OneDrive-Business. Then you can get data from the this file via Get Data->OneDrive-Business->Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI. Then you can filter the data for this workbook in Power BI, see:

q2.PNG

For more information, I would suggest you review the article (Get data from Excel workbook files) which I mentioned in original reply.

Then you can select the PivotTable in this workbook, pin it to a dashboard in Power BI. Then share the dashboard with other workmates.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors