Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pawand23
Frequent Visitor

Problem in Report share from My workspace

Hello all,

I have created a report by creating direct query from SAP HANA to power BI. I have joined 3 tables and created a query with mant calcultaed fields. I share the same report with My Workspace and share the same report from My Workspace to users in my organization with full read, reshare and edit access. All users have Power BI Pro license. 

error for my workspace share.jpg

It is an exact copy of Qlik Sense report and all users have access to dataset. Still users gets an error message saying "This visuals cntains restricted data" . All the users have full access for dataset in Power BI and database in SAP HANA. 

Upon many trials and error I created a new workspace and gave those users access as "Contributor" and share report from that workspace. Then those users can see the data. 

Please help me understand if we could share the reports from My Workspace or not? In all the portals, Power BI team has saying we can share from any workspace. Please let me know if I am missing anything from my end or users end. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Best practise is to share reports, dashboards and datasets from an App Workspace. This allows you to grant better permissions and better management of your data assets.

Also sharing and getting users to work from "My Workspace" is not recommended and as shown there are some limitations.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pawand23 ,

Based on my test, I think you have RLS setting in your report and you do not assign role with people who you share this report to. When you define RLS roles in your report and people do not have RLS role cannot see the content, but if people have edit permission, they can see entire report without being a RLS role.

The most important is that you cannot give people edit permission through sharing in "My workspace", so you can go to dataset - More Options - Security to define the RLS roles for your users.

They reason why people can see report in new workspace is that they have the workspace permission "Contributor", which means they have permission to edit the report, so they can ignore teh RLS role setting.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Best practise is to share reports, dashboards and datasets from an App Workspace. This allows you to grant better permissions and better management of your data assets.

Also sharing and getting users to work from "My Workspace" is not recommended and as shown there are some limitations.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors