Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tama9k9
Regular Visitor

Problem Data source access error although setup gateway successfully

Hi everyone, 

I have a problem when working with data source in PowerBI Service. When I publish my report in PowerBI Desktop to PowerBI Service, there's always the problem like the image below. I use the database from Analysis Service to make report in PowerBI Desktop 

tama9k9_3-1639929174003.png

The error:

tama9k9_0-1639928865363.png

I really don't understand why I still meet the same problem, although I set up the gateway connection successfully like the image below. For the powerbi service and powerbi desktop, I use the same account (my school account) to log in so I don't think it related to my account.

tama9k9_1-1639928956967.png

tama9k9_2-1639929139340.png

I've been searching the result on the internet and see that there're lots of people meet the same problem as me but only few people can solve the problem 😞

Please help me to fix this. Thank you so much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

One solution if it's on a local desktop and you're testing is to map the o365 account to local account manually in the gateway config:

bcdobbs_0-1639931282090.png

There are better ways to do it at scale (lots on it from guy in a cube) but needs working with active directory guys.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tama9k9 ,

Each time a user interacts with a report connected to Analysis Services, the effective user name is passed to the gateway and then passed on to your on-premises Analysis Services server.

The email address that you use to sign in to Power BI is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. It's passed in the connection property EffectiveUserName.

The email address must match a defined user principal name (UPN) within the local Active Directory domain. The UPN is a property of an Active Directory account. The Windows account must be present in an Analysis Services role. If a match can't be found in Active Directory, the sign-in isn't successful.

To solve this problem, as bcdobbs mentioned above,you should map user.

Here is an article about how and why you need map user in details, Manage your data source - Analysis Services 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tama9k9 ,

Each time a user interacts with a report connected to Analysis Services, the effective user name is passed to the gateway and then passed on to your on-premises Analysis Services server.

The email address that you use to sign in to Power BI is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. It's passed in the connection property EffectiveUserName.

The email address must match a defined user principal name (UPN) within the local Active Directory domain. The UPN is a property of an Active Directory account. The Windows account must be present in an Analysis Services role. If a match can't be found in Active Directory, the sign-in isn't successful.

To solve this problem, as bcdobbs mentioned above,you should map user.

Here is an article about how and why you need map user in details, Manage your data source - Analysis Services 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much for your support. There're many things I've never heard 😂😂😂

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Have you watched this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GPf0YS-Xbyo

Might help as a starting point.

I also wondered about how local authentication was configured in you analysis service. Eg are you using an AD account or a local machine account? If the later I suspect the gateway is passing through your o365 account and then being blocked.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

One solution if it's on a local desktop and you're testing is to map the o365 account to local account manually in the gateway config:

bcdobbs_0-1639931282090.png

There are better ways to do it at scale (lots on it from guy in a cube) but needs working with active directory guys.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you so much for your detailed instruction. I will try it now. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors