Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BD

Pro license question

Hello,

I work for a small company that has around 200 employee's.  I have been researching power BI to upgrade from our current SQL server (2014) to take benefit of the mobile reporting and other features.  I was looking at the P1 option with around 3-4 pro licences so my free users could view the reports.  The price tag however I know would be rejected by my manager, also with the size of my company it would be cheaper to just give everyone pro licenses to be able to view and digest the reports.

My question however is that if everyone has a pro license can they freely edit and change anything they want? or can I limit those users who will only be viewing to only be able to view and cut off their ability to edit and change?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ability for Pro Users to make changes depend on the context of where the report sits and what access is provided.  In a standard environment, you would have Workspaces created for set groups and purposes.  In those workspaces you can set up who can edit and who can only read the content.  "Publishing" a workspace as an app is the most ideal way of providing access to reports to the business without giving away editting rights.

When it comes to personal workspaces, people always have access to edit their own items.

When a project is being published to the service, you will be shown a Workspace selection, whereby you need to select which workspace you wish to publish to.

To touch on your pro-license question. You are correct, it is not econmical to look at Premium until you reach at least 500 employees that require Power BI access.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BD From what I understand, if you created something on Power BI desktop and publish it, the item will go directly to 'My Workspace', I believe this will only allow you to pass read/sharing rights to users. You would need to create a 'Workspace' to pass edit rights to other users.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ability for Pro Users to make changes depend on the context of where the report sits and what access is provided.  In a standard environment, you would have Workspaces created for set groups and purposes.  In those workspaces you can set up who can edit and who can only read the content.  "Publishing" a workspace as an app is the most ideal way of providing access to reports to the business without giving away editting rights.

When it comes to personal workspaces, people always have access to edit their own items.

When a project is being published to the service, you will be shown a Workspace selection, whereby you need to select which workspace you wish to publish to.

To touch on your pro-license question. You are correct, it is not econmical to look at Premium until you reach at least 500 employees that require Power BI access.

Thank you both for the added information.  Now this brings up another question if i could ask. 

My company has office 365 pro licencses, are we able to just purchase power bi pro licencses or do my users have to have office 365 enterprise e5 subscriptions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can purchase Pro Licenses without the need for E5 specifically.  We have users on other Office accounts that use Pro.

BD

Accidentally double posted my question can someone delete this thread for me please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors