Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sam4u
Frequent Visitor

Pro license problems

Hi guys and girls form Microsoft,

I really hope someone can help. I start getting a feeling Microsoft starting to drop the ball on PowerBI :S
I created few dashboards last month and shared them with my management. Everyone loved it, especially te collaboration part. Then June 1st changes came along and messed up everything.
Now, I was able to get the 1 yr Pro trial, my management didn't. I tried to go get the 60 days pro trial for them, but it says we already have a license and didnt do anything.
So here I am stuck and as you can imagine my management is not very happy either. My company will get the premium license eventually - we are top tier MS client, but it might take months (As any large corporation, our IT is incredibly slow). Meanwhile I have unhappy management, and a non working reports :S My question is who can i contact in Microsoft to clean this trail licensing mess? And I need to do that pretty soon, because I am risking droping PowerBI as a tool all together and going back to good old excel. A lot of people are asking me how come it is not working if it was working 2 weeks ago.
Also second question, why I am the only one that got 1 year trail, but no one else got it?
Third question is there a phone number for PowerBI support or any other way to contact Microsoft about issues besides forums?

Thank you in advance
SK

4 REPLIES 4
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

well I'm definitely not from Microsoft - - but in the upper left of the screen where there is the window dot matrix icon (not sure the correct term for that....) press that and go into the Admin area - - - in there you buy your licenses.

but having said that - - if your organization is already into the O365 / SharePoint Online - then you would have an administrator of that already - - and they should add PBI licenses for the appropriate users....

www.CahabaData.com

Hey Chaba, 

thank you for your responce. You are correct. I am not an IT admin, I am a mere analyst who creates reports for the upper management. My company has O365 and Sharepoint. And I tried your suggestion - probably becasue I am not an admin , it didnt work. As I mentined, I dont know if microsoft realises, with changes like these, how many people they are agrevating. I took the time to dig into the forum, seems I am not the only unhappy camper and ther are a ton of people not happy with the new licensing rules. I really hope they change that pretty soon otherwise PowerBI will go in history as bigger flop than WIndows Vista. 

It makes total sence to me to ask for a lisence for the developer of the reports, but license for every user in the company?!?!? We are 20k+ large company, not to mention contarctors etc. -  that will be insane. I am way better of using Lumera or SAP BW/BI or Webi. Even creating excel report would be better - sure it is not that shiny and interactive, but I can put it on one-drive or sharepoint and everybody can see it. 

And even if we eventually get PowerBI, our IT is working on the licensing thing, it will take months. By that point management will be already  - "yeah that thing didn't work before, it is not reliable" and we'll just move on.  People just dont have time to play bite and switch games. 

I relly liked PowerBI, but with their polices they will kill it before it even is able to shine. 

//End of rant :D:D:D

I would suggest you investigate the feature of embedding a dashboard within SharePoint/O365.

www.CahabaData.com

I did, same issue, cant see without premium (pro) license. ohterwiese I created sharepoint pages - looks beatiful.  Anyway, my IT is working with MS to get us the whole deal. I am just so pissed at Microsoft right now. I wish I never used PowerBI and showcasted it to management. Sould've sticked to Lumira. At least SAP is working as expected. 

But lesson learned - never trust Microsoft. 

Thank you for the suggestions though. Appreciate it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors