Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RakeshSinghr
Resolver I
Resolver I

Pro license - Max Dataset size

Hi,

Can someone confirm if the max dataset size (import mode & incremental refresh) in Power BI service for a pro user is 1 GB or 10 GB pls?

Group storage limit is being shown as 10GB, so if max dataset size is 1 GB - does it mean there can be up to 10 different datasets with 1 GB size? or can have one dataset with up 10 GB in size ?

If the size grows over max limit, will the dataset become unusable? 

Do reports still continue to work? Is there any workaround besides cutting down on data within the model? ( dont say purchase premium license)

-Rakesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RakeshSinghr 

The max dataset size is 1GB, but please note that "so if max dataset size is 1 GB - does it mean there can be up to 10 different datasets with 1 GB size", it's not very incorrect. as we know, the workspace storage is 10GB, but when we refresh the 1GB dataset , actually we need 2GB storage size, so if you have 10 datasets with 1GB size, the refresh is probable not working.

I believe you can get more hints from this official document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi 

There is a 1 GB limit per dataset that is imported into Power BI. If you have chosen to keep the Excel experience, instead of importing the data, the limit is 250 MB for the dataset.

For optimize the model, you can refer to the details below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-bi-optimization#optimizing-the-data-model 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RakeshSinghr 

The max dataset size is 1GB, but please note that "so if max dataset size is 1 GB - does it mean there can be up to 10 different datasets with 1 GB size", it's not very incorrect. as we know, the workspace storage is 10GB, but when we refresh the 1GB dataset , actually we need 2GB storage size, so if you have 10 datasets with 1GB size, the refresh is probable not working.

I believe you can get more hints from this official document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi 

There is a 1 GB limit per dataset that is imported into Power BI. If you have chosen to keep the Excel experience, instead of importing the data, the limit is 250 MB for the dataset.

For optimize the model, you can refer to the details below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-bi-optimization#optimizing-the-data-model 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The max dataset/pbix size is 1GB.

If the dataset/pbix size grows beyond 1GB the refreshing of the dataset will fail.

You still will be able to use the dataset and reports.

To make it smaller i would use DAX studio and see which columns are taking the most space and look to make them smaller or remove them. Otherwise your only option then is Power BI Premium

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors