Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hharpal
Frequent Visitor

Pro License needed for Personal Gateway?

Can somebody confirm if I need a Power BI pro License for the Power BI personal data gateway? It was my understanding that pro would be needed for scheduled refresh through the gateway but for on-demand refresh (also through gateway) a free account would suffice. I'm asking because I have the gateway up and running but it's not visible in the service website whatever I try. I have no special firewall configuration.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hharpal Using a gateway is a Pro feature. The only cases that I am aware you could instigate a daily refresh would be if your data is in an online location and you are importing it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
hharpal
Frequent Visitor

Hi All, I've had some time to evaluate everything. Turns out as far I could see that although I could not find anywhere that you need a Pro License for ondemand refresh, the options for selecting a gateway do not appear unless you have one. Furthermore for anyone running into this: I was looking for the personal under "manage data gateway" in settings but only the enterprise gateways show up there. For Power BI Personal the settings are in the dataset settings. Thanks all for helping out.

@hharpal A good point, and I can see the confusion around gateway location... I believe the thinking is such that there is no need for the personal gateway to show up in "manage gateways" because there is nothing to manage. Once you install the personal gateway on the machine, if the data source is valid it just automatically works and you only need to see it when you schedule the refresh. Glad you figured things out.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@hharpal Using a gateway is a Pro feature. The only cases that I am aware you could instigate a daily refresh would be if your data is in an online location and you are importing it.

@Seth_C_Bauerthanks. Scheduled daily refresh is clearly a pro feature for on premise datasources. But the "refresh now" button would possibly still work. The enterprise gateway is visible but not personal.

@hharpal

Pro License is required for Personal Gateway. For any On-premise data source, you will need a gateway.

For on demand refresh, you will not need Pro license. If you need to schedule refresh more frequently than daily. You will need Pro license. For more details, please see: Power BI Pro content - what is it?

For the gateway invisible issue, make sure you install the gateway properly, and sign in it on your on-premise machine. It will offline when you restart that machine.

Regards,

@hharpal I haven't played with a free license in awhile, but I would be surprised if you could use the gateway for "refresh now" because all the documentation states otherwise. My guess is somewhere in the setup you will get the Pro feature warning. Interesting that it hasn't happened already...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors