Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro License for Guest User Issues

I am part of an organization (Tenant A) that has been assigned with Pro license to my account.

I have been invited as Guest User to another organization (Tenant B)

Since i have a Pro license assigned, when i access Power BI service in Tenant B, i should have Pro account access.

This is working well for the past 6 months until yesterday i found out that i was no longer a Pro User in Tenant B.

When i accessed Power BI services within Tenant A, it shows that i am still a Pro user (my Pro account is not expired).

Can anybody help or advice on why it is no longer working all of the sudden? What are the potential cause? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have configured as what you have mentioned. It was working fine before and there were no configuration changes.

The support page has posted the following that there was an issue with Pro Account. I guess this is the reason many of us are having issues out of the sudden?

"Power BI Pro customers trying to access externally shared content from a different Tenant may encounter a message asking to “Upgrade to Power BI Pro”. Engineers have identified the root cause and ETA for a fix is end-of-day 06/07/2020."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I wonder if you are in the access list of the workspace including the content you want to access. By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, export data and create email subscriptions for dashboards and reports. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature.

For further information, I'd like to suggest you refer Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have configured as what you have mentioned. It was working fine before and there were no configuration changes.

The support page has posted the following that there was an issue with Pro Account. I guess this is the reason many of us are having issues out of the sudden?

"Power BI Pro customers trying to access externally shared content from a different Tenant may encounter a message asking to “Upgrade to Power BI Pro”. Engineers have identified the root cause and ETA for a fix is end-of-day 06/07/2020."

Hi, @Anonymous 

Is this issue solved? If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further. Thanks.

Best Regards

Allan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft ,

Yes, the issue has been resolved. Thank You.

The microsoft fix worked Thanks

Same issue is happening with my clients.  We share content (Reports and Datasets) with external Pro license users, they've been able to use the service without an issue until this week.  They go their link, try to click on one of the objects and nothing happens.

I see the little blurb on the service page that says something is wrong with external sharing and that it's put on the back burner for fixing and no other information or link to something that I can pass along to my customers. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft has listed this as a known issue on their support page. The ETA for a fix is end-of-day 06/07/2020

I hope this will resolve the problems many of us are facing.

Thanks - that's a long time for people to go without access to their reports. 
We are sharing dashboards rather than apps to get around this for the moment. That appears to work but not ideal.

RMay
Frequent Visitor

We also have the same issue - suddenly stopped working after being fine for months.

Tim-BD
Regular Visitor

I'm facing the same issue.

I shared a report with a guest with Power BI Pro, but he can't access the report anymore. I checked everything and didn't change the settings. He should have access to the report.

Hi Tim-BD,

I am wondering if the link changed?  When you share a report outside your organization, they get the link to the report.  I have seen where the link changes (for whatever reason).  Can you try to un-share and then re-share and email them the link again automatically?  I am curious if it works with a new link.  (Note - this isn't something that should have to be done again and again.  This should be a rare thing to have to re-share - since it kind of eliminates the purpose of sharing if you have to keep re-sharing.  🙂  )

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would mark this as a solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thank you, I will try this out tomorrow and will keep you posted.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi samchong,

For TenantB, do you have to sign in with a different userid?  And/Or, did you have your Tenant B userid password reset (with or without your knowledge)?  And/Or - has your guest access on TenantB been removed?

You will probably have to get with the Power BI admin of TenantB to confirm that your password and access still exist.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would mark this as a solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Kevin_Gitonga
Helper I
Helper I

Same here, any solution?

ippyvonne
Regular Visitor

I would like to know this too because I got the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors