Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro License Question

I want to make sure I understand the PBI license model.   If I have 10 users who I’ll refer to as Dashboard creators/publishers and 100 consumers; “view-only” consumers.  And these consumers only use their browser to view the Dashboards that are published on the company's SharePoint site, do all 100 consumers require a Pro license?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No Problem, as i know i never seem something to do this, i learned it alone! rs

I Will try to explain for you:

1 - Create a Page in SharePoint (Important: This/these pages must have external access via WEB)

2 - Manage Her permission (Give acess into this/these pages for each user that you created into AD)

3 - Publish the code of frame that was generetad into Power BI inside the page that was created for you , using the script code .

0358.ScriptEditor.png 

4 - Send for each consumer, the link their will use and their User/password.

Now you have consumer interacting with power BI without using pro license, but for this is necessary user to acess the SharePoint.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

If I understand your question correctly that you want to know if the free user could have access to the Power BI report embeded in SharePoint Online?

If it is, by my tests, the user with Free license cannot have access to the Power BI report embeded in SharePoint Online.

Actually, the feature Embed in SharePoint Online is supported for Pro user or the content in Premium capacity.

You could use Publish to web for free user to view the Power BI report, but Publish to web is not security. When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are the free reports that are published to the web stored?   I believe this is exactly what I've done.

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Anonymous, is not necessary these consumer require a pro license to view theses report. Make sure that you publish it into SharePoint 365 and all consumer have acess there.

But , if you create an workspace and not publish it into 365, consumer can only see these report if have a pro license.
I've used the sharepoint in past to give report using the permissions of sharepoint to control acess.

Please mark as response if it solution your question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.   As I began reading up on how to share with others in SharePoint, I came across no mention that consumers don't require a license.   I did however continue to read Sharepoint consumers also require a license:

There are a few requirements in order for Embed in SharePoint Online reports to work.

• You need a Power BI Pro license or a Power BI Premium capacity (EM or P SKU) with a Power BI license.

Do you have a reference that explains no license is required for consumer using SharePoint?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also came across this:

You need a Power BI Pro license to share your content, and those you share it with do too, or the content needs to be in a workspace in a Premium capacity. When you share a dashboard or report, recipients can view it and interact with it, but can't edit it.

@Anonymous you are correct, when you share something is necessary that other user have a pro license.

In the past, i've does it:  Published the report on public WEB, got and insert the frame of PBI into sharepoint, and gave acess for user in sharepoint. When these guys enter in this page, they need a user and password to login.

You can do this for the number of page you need and control the access for each person into SharePoint Pages.

Did you understand? It's a strategy to share information with consumer without using pro licenses. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information, but it is still my impression using the scenario you describe below, the consumer still requires a pro license.   If this is not the case, can you direct me to documentation that refers to this scenario.   I haven't been successful at finding this information on the web.

Thanks.

No Problem, as i know i never seem something to do this, i learned it alone! rs

I Will try to explain for you:

1 - Create a Page in SharePoint (Important: This/these pages must have external access via WEB)

2 - Manage Her permission (Give acess into this/these pages for each user that you created into AD)

3 - Publish the code of frame that was generetad into Power BI inside the page that was created for you , using the script code .

0358.ScriptEditor.png 

4 - Send for each consumer, the link their will use and their User/password.

Now you have consumer interacting with power BI without using pro license, but for this is necessary user to acess the SharePoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors