Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hongkwokkwok
Helper I
Helper I

Print to PDF Problem - Top-Right Line and 2 Pages

My Dashboard has one page only. 

When I print to PDF or other printers, a black Line is shown on the top-right corner.

And also, it become 2 pages. The second page is blank with the black line.

Can I remove the line and the second blank page?

Thanks

Line2Page.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
nagarwal1366
Regular Visitor

Hi,

We have built custom visuals and would like to export them to PDF. We are not able to get the exact visual on the saved document.

Is this feature supported for custom visuals?. If not, Please let us know if and when can we expect this.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hongkwokkwok,

Based on my research, the issue can be caused by that your dashboard width exceed 8.5in. PDF rendering belong to hard page-break.

When printing your report to PDF, Hard page-break renderers maintain the report layout and formatting. The resulting file is optimized for a consistent printing experience, or for viewing the report online in a book format (8.5in*11.in). You can try to reduce the width of your dashboard to check if this issue persists or not.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I've tried to change the page size to Cortana or Letter.

There are still 2 pages and the black line is still here.Man Sad

I've experienced similar issues with my business users and I couldn't give them a straight up answer because the printing function is handled in the background on the browser; however, a minor detail that seems to slip from the radar is that, MS crafts the content soon to be fed to the printer through the browser.

In other words, Microsoft Power BI page print logic picks up the necessary HTML elements in a form of a printable format and invokes the print process on the browser. Now, I finally figure out why there is an empty left pane on the right on every report and the reason being is that MS treats the left navigation element as part of the report. This is a bug, to overcome this bug, always try to hide the left nagivation bar before printing. I also found setting the page type to Letter and re-adjusting the visuals again helps.

Obvioulsy, this is something that MS needs to fix asap, which brings me to the fact that in the printing self-service demo, the left navigation was always hidden when they were demonstrating the printing functionality, I wonder why!

I haven't looked at the client side code but I suspect that MS handles the printing differently between browsers, so expect some discrepancy here and there.

As far as the Chrome 2-page anomaly, always print the first page because that's what it is intended to do. Lastly but not least, the bar across is another html element that gets carried away. I'd say they handle the printing poorly when they introduce new functionality/elements to the page, until they do something about it, be prepared to expect things to pop up out of the blue.

Regards,

Fahd

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors