Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masa
Employee
Employee

Pricing for Azure and Power BI

Hello Power BI Community,

Does Microsoft charge for data transfer from Azure to Power BI?

When data is transferred out of Azure data centers, Microsoft charges for this transaction. However, there is no information about whether Power BI Service is in Azure data centers or not therefore I don't know whether we charge for this transaction or not.

These are my questions:

1. Does Microsoft charge for data transfer from Azure to Power BI Service?
  2. Does Microsoft charge for data transfer from Azure to Power BI Desktop?
    I think question 2 depends on the following situation. If the user uses Power BI Desktop on their on-premise environment, the transaction is charged. Whereas, if the user uses Power BI Desktop on their Azure Virtual Machine, the transaction takes place only in the Azure data centers and is not charged.

Thank you,

masa

4 REPLIES 4
pritesho
Helper I
Helper I

As long as your source of data and Power BI are hosted in same Zone there is no charge for Data Transfer is what I understand.  There is no hidden fees.  Also there is no cost for sending data to Power BI if you use Direct query or live query.

You pay 9.99 per user for the Pro account.

@masa Based on a conversation I've read in the past, someone tested out your scenerio one, and it did indeed charge for egress for refresh actions... There is a user voice request to have this analyzed/removed.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11571870-egress-charges-from-sche...

Edit: @masa I'm going to back track on the above response based on some input. It would appear the answer isn't really straight forward. Apparently there are some cases in which you are charged and others not. I'll respond back when I get more info.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Late-to-the-game question, but has anyone been able to validate the "there are some cases in which you are charged and others not" comment below? 

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for your quick reply! From your information, I can understand how to charge in the one of my senarios. I also ask a question to Microsoft support, when I get a answer I'll share the info to the community.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors