cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stt11 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Prevent export underlying data

Mike,

Can you explain what you did here? I am having the same problem you described above.

Thanks,

Sam

MikeGutty Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

HI - if you look in the Tenant Setting for Exporting then Export Data, there is an option Apply to Specific security groups, if you setup a security group within Azure AD, you then add that and then only members of the group can use the export option

panoslaz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Mike

Thanks that would work but unfortunately I am not using Azure.. I have very little knowledge on cloud.

Isnt there another way to either restrict the option of exporting underlying data (leaving only the summarised there) or having control over what this underlying data will include (pretty much exclude some columns that I do not want users to access) 

Thanks 

Panos

MikeGutty Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sorry but I have not been any further than the solution I used here and honestly wouldn't know where to start with your issue

Topher60657 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I worked with my O365 Admin and was able to create a security group that prevents users from exporting data.  Ideally, I want these users to have the ability to export data, just not the "underlying data" export.  As far as I can tell, the only solution Microsoft has is to hide the tables/columns in Power BI desktop and then publish to cloud.  If a user accidentally selects the underlying data export option then the hidden tables/columns will not be returned.  However, I have an analyst team that does all our content creation in the cloud and need the tables/columns visible in the Power BI service to create content.  

PowerBIExport

Frequent Visitor

PowerBIExport.jpg

SirGalatsi Member

So there's a simpler way. 

Go to your workspace where the report is published. Go to "REPORTS" and then under ACTIONS where you see all of those little icons, click on the gear symbol. Under Export Data there is an option to do summarized, none, or summarized and underlying. 

Choose the one you want and voila! Even if you are an admin to the workspace, if you go into the report you can't export underlying. It'll be grayed out. 

It's good for that report. Picture below:
Power BI.PNG

Frequent Visitor

SirGalatsi you are my hero!  Thank you so much!  You think you know Power BI and then such a simple solution is presented!  Thank you times a million!

schoolbiguy Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yeah! I just noticed this today. I have a feeling that it was a newly introduced feature. A win for sure!

RMV Member

Really appreciate the sharing of the solution!

I wonder whether we can configure this setup to specific participant (one or two) only of all whom we share the report to?