Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMV
Helper V
Helper V

Prevent export underlying data

Hi,

Can we prevent people whom we shared the dashboard with to export the underlying data from the dashboard & from the report?

Regards,

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

So there's a simpler way. 

Go to your workspace where the report is published. Go to "REPORTS" and then under ACTIONS where you see all of those little icons, click on the gear symbol. Under Export Data there is an option to do summarized, none, or summarized and underlying. 

Choose the one you want and voila! Even if you are an admin to the workspace, if you go into the report you can't export underlying. It'll be grayed out. 

It's good for that report. Picture below:
Power BI.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

SirGalatsi you are my hero!  Thank you so much!  You think you know Power BI and then such a simple solution is presented!  Thank you times a million!

Yeah! I just noticed this today. I have a feeling that it was a newly introduced feature. A win for sure!

Really appreciate the sharing of the solution!

I wonder whether we can configure this setup to specific participant (one or two) only of all whom we share the report to?

Seems like this option has been removed, anybody else having the same issue?

Capture.PNG

Missing for me too. This is important enough that it should be restored. Anyone have any update or clue to what happened?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I guess they have restored this setting. I believe.
In order to Prevent you can go to admin section and disable this functionality

2019-02-14 09_10_13-Power BI.png

I am having the same issue with the export settings options missing. I am unable to export data on the reports I created and own!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue for me. Wonder when this will be available again or when they remove the option completely to prevent questions. 

Same problem for me.  Can't get the underlying data in Power BI Service 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you explain what your solution was? I am running into a similiar problem.

Hey 

I have the same issue 

My main focus is data tables

I want users to be able to export all the fields I have included in the table (i guess that s the summarized data) but not the underlying data. 

The underlying data includes many columns I do not want users to have access to 

Can you please let me know how you solved that?

thanks in advance 

Panos 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@panoslaz, if you have a a pie chart visual a matrix visual with a sum, total, avg, etc. you can turn off visual headers for those visuals. In August, Microsoft introduced the ability to turn off headers for each visual so that you can't export or put things in focus mode. This is a good way to block that from happening. If you have a table visual with no sum in the columns, you can keep the visual header on because it won't give you the option to export underyling data anyways. You'll see the headers when developing in Desktop, but otherwise when published they will disappear. This has helped me a ton! 

Hope this helps re. 🙂 

-Aris

Hi

Thanks a lot

that s interesting but I still have the same issue. 

I have disabled the sums from my tables but I still get the option of underlying data. I am using simple tables (not matrices)

I am accessing the report as a user and I can download the full dataset from the underlying data option, which is something I need to restrict other users from doing 

Do you have any idea how i could fix that?

thanks 

Hey 

I have the same issue 

My main focus is data tables

I want users to be able to export all the fields I have included in the table (i guess that s the summarized data) but not the underlying data. 

The underlying data includes many columns I do not want users to have access to 

Can you please let me know how you solved that?

thanks in advance 

Panos 

Hi I have the same problem, I want to keep the option for the users to download summarised data but not underlying ones. 

My main focus is the data tables; I want users to be able to download only the data & fields I have included in the table, not the fields I have excluded 

Filters of course work fine 

thanks 

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer & @v-jiascu-msft,

I tried it, and the export function is not shown in the options.

Is there a way to still show the export function, but the prevented users are not able to export the underlying data, but still able to export the summarized data.

Thanks

@RMV

Hi,

According to the official documents, "No-one can see or download the dataset." in shared dashboard. So users can export the summarized data. It seems that you can enable this function and it will satisfy your requirements.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard/

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors