cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMV Member

Prevent export underlying data

Hi,

Can we prevent people whom we shared the dashboard with to export the underlying data from the dashboard & from the report?

Regards,

38 REPLIES 38
Super User
Super User

Re: Prevent export underlying data

@RMV Yes. You can do this in Settings -> Admin Portal -> tenant settings -> Export Data

You can disable it for the entire tenant, or keep the functionality alive for a group of users while disabling it for others.

You need to be either an O365 admin or Power BI Administrator (Role applied by the O365 admin) in order to see "Admin Portal" under your Power BI settings (wheel icon) on the header.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@RMV

Hi,

@Seth_C_Bauer's solution is very good. Please have a try.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RMV Member

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer & @v-jiascu-msft,

I tried it, and the export function is not shown in the options.

Is there a way to still show the export function, but the prevented users are not able to export the underlying data, but still able to export the summarized data.

Thanks

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@RMV

Hi,

According to the official documents, "No-one can see or download the dataset." in shared dashboard. So users can export the summarized data. It seems that you can enable this function and it will satisfy your requirements.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard/

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RMV,

Could you please tell me if the solution worked? Please mark proper posts as answer if it worked.

Best Regards!
Dale

RMV Member

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Dataset cannot be downloaded. That is well understood.

However, that's not what I'm looking for.

At each of report, there's an option to export data, then there are 2 options whether to export the summarized or the underlying data. I'm looking for the way to disable (some or specific) user to export the underlying data from report/visualization.

Any advise?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RMV,

The data we can see from a visualization is summarized (used by the visual). Users can't download dataset from a shared dashboard.

Best Regards!

Dale

Highlighted
MikeGutty Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I only seem to have the ability to turn it on/off for the entire organization and would like to add in a specific group of users who can export data, is there some setting I have missed?

Thanks

Mike

MikeGutty Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sorry I have had another look at this and found how to do this - Sorry to mess you about