Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Premium shared capacity / does a user with Admin rights HAVE to be an admin for each space?

Hi guys,

So, our company has implemented the Premium shared capacity. There's one guy who has Power BI admin rights (let's call him 'PBI Admin') and there's us who have Pro licences.

I have created a couple of work spaces and I had to ask the PBI Admin to transform them into shared capacities. No biggie, although it was a bit annoying that I couldn't do it myself. Important fact: he said that for him to be able to do this tranformation, he had to be made an Owner to that space first.

Now, the PBI Admin says he must STAY an Owner of that space (as opposed to a regular member) or the space CAN NOT stay in premium capacity.

Is that technically true or does he just wants more authority?

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AliceW ,

Yes, you are correct. The admin can edit the capacity of any workspace in your organization.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AliceW ,

We can set a workspace to shared capacity by the steps as below.

1. In Capacity settings->CAPACITY NAME

1.PNG

2. In the Action pane, remove workspace and place it in shared capacity.

2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Frank!

Unfortunately, I don't have the 'full' admin rights. I do have a Pro license though.

Untitled.png

Does this mean a 'full' admin HAS to keep being an owner of this capacity in order for it to remain a capacity?

Thanks!!

Hi @AliceW ,

Ask your Power BI service administrator to do this operations.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I am asking him, and he does it. That is not my question, Frank.

Does he HAVE TO REMAIN an ower of space in order for the space to remain a space?

I think that he doesn't. What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi @AliceW ,

Yes, you are correct. The admin can edit the capacity of any workspace in your organization.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you very much, Frank. You have a great day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors