Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smileamile2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Premium capacity - do I need to assign users Free licenses?

Our organization has recently switched to Premium capacity. Workspaces are upgraded to Premium. A lot of users already had Pro licenses, just to view and share reports. We will be removing the Pro licenses, but will they need to be assigned Free licenses? I don't want them to be prompted to "try PBI Free" or anything. Some users may collaborate in workspaces, others will only be viewing reports via Apps and workspaces.

Please advise.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smileamile2 

Yes, you'll need to assign Free licences to any user that wants to consume content on a Premium Capacity workspace. One of the reasons for this is that they then have a Power BI logon ID, which can be used in Row Level Security to only show them data they're allowed to access. 

There is an Admin setting "Allow users to try Power BI paid features" which admin can turn off which will stop users getting "trial licence" offers and messages.

hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smileamile2 

Yes, you'll need to assign Free licences to any user that wants to consume content on a Premium Capacity workspace. One of the reasons for this is that they then have a Power BI logon ID, which can be used in Row Level Security to only show them data they're allowed to access. 

There is an Admin setting "Allow users to try Power BI paid features" which admin can turn off which will stop users getting "trial licence" offers and messages.

hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors