Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LindaJonesCT
Helper I
Helper I

Premium Workspace - user getting "use power bi pro features upgrade to a pro license" message

Hello,

I have a "free" user who cannot access a Workspace that is on a Premium Capacity.

I have confirmed that they are a member of the Workspace and that the Workspace is in one of our premium capacities.

They receive this error message when navigating the link to the workspace.  - is this the issue would they be able to open the Workspace? or do they need direct links to the reports they use?

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @LindaJonesCT,

the problem is in the user's Member role. To access a workspace as an Admin, Member or Contributor, you need a Pro license.

To access a workspace with a free license, you need to assign the Viewer role. Or publish content from the workspace to an App and give the user(s) access there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JorgeAraguayan

Hi @nickyvv Thank you for your answer. 

Would it also work if a user with a PPU license created the premium workspace?
I am sharing an app with a report hosted in a premium workspace with free users inside my organization,  but Power BI is asking to upgrade the free users licenses. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LindaJonesCT ,

I would like to confirm if I have missed this information in this question.

Are the Premium capacity SKUs assigned to your workspace P SKUs?
If you have purchased Power BI Premium EM SKUs or A SKUs, they are not allow free Power BI users to consume Power BI apps and shared content, in Power BI service. Only P SKUs are available This requirement.

For more information,you can refer to:Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @LindaJonesCT ! Have you checked the Tenant settings in the Admin Portal? Ensure that the following settings are "Enabled" (since I don't know if the users are internal or external I send both):

Setting Number 1Setting Number 1

Setting number 2Setting number 2

Setting Number 3Setting Number 3

Additionally, check if you have Admin or Member role in the workspace!

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

This is an internal user.  I have verified both settings are enabled for the entire organization.

I have added myself as Admin to the Workspace - The user with the difficulty is a "Member"

Hi @LindaJonesCT,

the problem is in the user's Member role. To access a workspace as an Admin, Member or Contributor, you need a Pro license.

To access a workspace with a free license, you need to assign the Viewer role. Or publish content from the workspace to an App and give the user(s) access there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thanks, this also solved my problem with a free license asigned in a workspace with an admin roll. The aplication showed that mesagge about to upgrade the licence.

Thank you,  I have changed her role.   They are in a different time zone so I will let you know tomorrow if this worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors