Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mckeyes
Frequent Visitor

Premium Workspace Prompt for Pro License

Some non-Pro users are being prompted to signup for the Pro license when accessing a Workspace on Premium capacity. It is inconsistent as to why certain users are being prompted while others are not. We do you have the P1 SKU. They can access the reports within if it's shared via link but cannot navigate to the reports via Workspace.

Any ideas on tentant settings, O365 account settings/permissions???

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLUTION: Yes, a free user can access workspaces to view assets with a P level SKU, which we have.

1. Remove User from the Viewer Role and save.
  2. Allow about 15-30 minutes
  3. Re-add User as viewer role in the workspace
  4. Before user tries again, they will need to delete browser history and cache (all time range) and then login again and try and see if it will work

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
rubymaya
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

Im having the same issue here. My workspace is Diamond (Premium Capacity).

But why are my free users getting a "Pro license error" when they click on Workspace. 
I need them to share the report.

See this from micrososft link : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-features

Licenses
Each Power BI service user has either a free license or a Pro license. Business users have free licenses.

Free license - typically assigned to business users within an organization (see first image, below). Also assigned to anyone who signs up for the Power BI service as an individual and wants to try out the Power BI service in standalone mode (see second image, below).

For free users, being a member of an organization that has Premium capacity is what gives you super powers. As long as your Pro colleagues use Premium capacity workspaces to share content, free users can view and collaborate with those Pro colleagues. In this way, the free user gains the ability to consume content created by others. Together with their colleagues, including Pro users, the free user receives, shares, and collaborates on the same dashboards and reports and apps to make business decisions.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mckeyes ,

Free users cannot collaborate in new workspaces, even at premium capacity.

As @GilbertQ  said, create an app in the workspace, share the app link with him and give him some permissions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps

The other option is to assign Power BI Pro Licenses to users for consuming Reports and Dashboards in the Workspace without publishing them as an App.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft 

This does not make any sense. If we purchased Premium and pushed the workspace to Premium capacity why would the user need to be Pro? What's the point of purchasing Premium?

I just tested this morning with a free user and they were able to access a Premium workspace with no issue. Yet our CFO is being prompted to sign up for Pro everytime he clicks on a Premium workspace. It sounds more like there is a permission or group setting within O365 or a bug within Power BI. The prompt is hit or miss with individuals and workspaces.

Hi there

Check the role permissions on the workspace

If the user has a Viewer permission that can be used by a free user in a Premium App Workspace.

My guess is that your CFO has a role higher than Viewer in the Premium App Workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ - Thought that one might do it but not quite. Changed access level to Viewer and they are still getting the prompt.

Ok then that would then still apply to the Power Premium limitations where you can only have free users when they view data via the App.

Any other way and they will need a pro license.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Free users can only view reports be that either via Shared with me or via an App.

I think a free user can also view an App workspace via a Viewer Role, any other role and you will need a Power BI pro license.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply

One user was given admin access to a workspace and is still promoted. Others are a mix of viewers and contributors across various workspace, all are upgraded to the newer version. 

Hi @mckeyes 

Admin access doesn't automatically give you access to apps/reports.  Even admins need to have Pro or be granted access to the workspace. 

I would check a few things:

1.  In the workspace, check Settings and make sure the workspace is in Premium.
  2.  In the workspace, check Access and make sure all your users have at least Viewer permissions.
  3.  Select Update app > Permissions.  Did you share this app with all the users? Did you set it to install automatically?
  4. You mention "workspace" above, are you also creating an app? And it's the "app workspace" that is having problems?

If none of those fix it, write back and I can continue troubleshooting.

Take care,

Michele

I have a support ticket in.

Again, not all free users receive the prompt and not all workspaces give a prompt to those users that are experiencing the issue. 

Went through the initial steps with Microsoft support and none resolved the issue yet. I have a session with them later today. I will update the post when we find a solution.

SOLUTION: Yes, a free user can access workspaces to view assets with a P level SKU, which we have.

1. Remove User from the Viewer Role and save.
  2. Allow about 15-30 minutes
  3. Re-add User as viewer role in the workspace
  4. Before user tries again, they will need to delete browser history and cache (all time range) and then login again and try and see if it will work

@mckeyes it did work? The free users could eventually access the workspace (and I don't mean the app published)? Accessing the workspace allows them to also create online reports of the dataset that is published on the premium workspace?

My regards,

Michel

Hi @hasenclever 

A free user can access a Workspace on Premium capacity, but only as a Viewer. That means the free user can only view the Reports and Dashboards in the Premium Workspace, they do not have creation rights.

The initial problem was that one user with a free licence was given more than a Viewer role in the Workspace. This prompted the system to ask the user to upgrade to Pro before they could interact with the Workspace, when they cancelled they were put in the Workspace as a Viewer. The problem was increased by the fact that changes to Workspace permissions take a few minutes to take effect, so don't happen instantly.

Hope this helps

Stuart

@Burningsuit  and everyone, I think we are mixing things.

From my understanding from the MS Documentation, on a Premium Workspace you can set a Free-licensed user to any role. Even for member.

Nevertheless, my problem is not about the role you can assign. Eventhough I set my Free-licensed user as a viewer on my premium workspace, the user cannot access the workspace when navigating into the service (app.powerbi.com). When he enters the workspace, a message appears asking if he want to upgrade to PRO. When the user hits CANCEL, the browser does not let him enter the workspace.

But if I pass the workspace URL to this very user and he enters it on a browser, he can enter.

So I followed the steps of clearing the cache and so on. But it did not solve it.

Hi there

I would like to just point out as per the documentation that only a Power BI Free license can be assigned with the "Viewer" role. Any other role will require a Power BI Pro license.

here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-features

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ the documentation says so, nevertheless, my complain is not that I cannot assign another role. I would be ok, just letting them to viewer. My complain is that as viewer from a Premium worskpace, they should get into the workspace navigating through the workspace button.

Nevertheless, right now, if you assign a different role to a free user, it is possible. There is no error message or so. And if the user puts the workspace url on the browser, he can access it.

Passage that says it:

If you have a free license and the workspace is stored in Premium capacity, you'll be able to view and interact with the content in that workspace. A diamond icon identifies workspaces and apps that are stored in Premium capacity.

Link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-workspaces

Hi there

Can you please clarify what you mean by "Newer Version"?

Power BI Blog

Classic vs upgraded workspace

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors