Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IF
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Premium P1

Hi,

I know the Premium P1 can refresh dataset/dataflows every 30 minutes. However, it can update them if the update time will not exceed 180 minutes. Of course, it is not going to stop after half an hour continues for a while, but it is also possible that there are some other datasets in the coming time slots. I wonder if the P2 or P3 has a max of 180 minutes every half an hour or it is also doubled to 360 minutes. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What do you mean by "every 30 minutes, which is 180 minutes per half an hour"?  You can have 6 concurrent refreshes, a dataset can be refreshed at most every 30 minutes, the refresh timeout is 5 hours.

"the supported number of maximum concurrent refreshes is set to 1.5 times the backend v-cores, rounded up."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-capacity-optimize#why-are-refreshes-...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @IF 

If you have to upgrade your Premium P1 to Gen2, the refreshes will not count against your current datasets and they should be able to be refreshed quicker?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ wrote:

Hi @IF 

If you have to upgrade your Premium P1 to Gen2, the refreshes will not count against your current datasets and they should be able to be refreshed quicker?

I've been piloting Gen2 this week and am getting spikes of 300% capacity utilization!  Gen2 will not be an option for me until I harvest some of my larger datasets in favor of smaller more focused ones.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

On P1 you can't have up to 6 concurrent refreshes. I think the timeout is 6 hours for datasets.

edit: this says 5 hour timeout but I thought it was 6 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#sch...

Thanks for the explanation. Do the concurrent refreshes change after upgrading to P2 or P3? Now it is 6 concurrent refreshes for every 30 minutes, which is 180 minutes per half an hour.

What do you mean by "every 30 minutes, which is 180 minutes per half an hour"?  You can have 6 concurrent refreshes, a dataset can be refreshed at most every 30 minutes, the refresh timeout is 5 hours.

"the supported number of maximum concurrent refreshes is set to 1.5 times the backend v-cores, rounded up."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-capacity-optimize#why-are-refreshes-...

For example; P2 has 16 v-cores and 8 Backend Cores. In this case, the maximum concurrent refresh could be 8x1,5=12 times. It enables 12 times x 30 minutes =360 minutes of available slots to refresh data for the scheduled updates of the apps/dataflows. If I understand correctly, P2 has doubled performance when compared to P1.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors