Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gwhiteman
Frequent Visitor

Premium Capacity V-Core Allocation

With the premium capacity we had the ability to allocate the core across several capacities.
E.g. P1: 8 v-Cores split across two capacities with 4 cores each. 

It this option still available win Gen2?

Our current set up we now have all 8 cores allocated to one capacity. I cannot see a way to split them into half (2x4). I can only assume to do this I would need to delete the current capacity and create two new ones. I am struggling to find details regarding this process. 

4 REPLIES 4
gwhiteman
Frequent Visitor

Hi Henry, 
I am not looking to change the SKU (at least I don't believe I am).

I am trying to assign my P1-8 core to across two seperate capacities. At the moment we have all 8 cores assigned to a single capacity. I suspect need to delete the capacity and create two new ones assigning 4 cores to each as I can't see any way to reduce the current capacity from 8 core to 4 cores.  Se below we cannot create a new capicty since we have no v-cores left to allocate. 

gwhiteman_0-1639948580724.png

To add to the confusion, we are currenlty on Gen 1. We are manuall switching to Gen 2 in the new year. 
After we move to Gen2 we will revist this. 

Hope this makes sense. 

I need to do this as well, did you find how to do it?

No I didn't. I am wondering if we need to delete the existing capacity and start again.  We are now on Gen2 which made no difference. 

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwhiteman ,

According to your description, the main problem is the need to understand the difference between different SKUs. Where P sku cannot be downgraded to EM sku (i.e. P1 v8 cannot be assigned to two v4)

vhenrykmstf_2-1639534712587.png

can not change

vhenrykmstf_3-1639534789380.png

To obtain and allocate the appropriate capacity size, refer to the following purchase rules:

vhenrykmstf_4-1639534913135.png

For more detail, you can read related document.

What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors