Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Premium Capacity Metrics App - What are the measures?

Hi, I have a question about the "Memory Consumption" section of the "Resource Consumption" page of the report.

The documentation says, "Memory consumption in GB by workload (solid lines)...Shown hourly, for the previous seven days."

Is the memory consumption metric a "point-in-time" measurement? For example, if I hover over the line chart at '8/8/2019 01:00:00 AM' and it says Capacity Usage = 16.59 GB ... does that mean that at exactly 01:00:00, the point-in-time memory consumption was 16.59 GB?

Or does it use some aggregation/summarization, like average or max? For example, maybe it means that for the hour which ended at 8/8/2019 01:00:00 AM, the average memory consumption during that hour was 16.59 GB? Or, the max memory consumption during that hour was 16.59 GB?

I might assume it is a "point-in-time" measurement, since it doesn't say otherwise. But I'd like to be sure, because (a) I think it is unusual to report on utilization in such a way; and (b) it would make a big difference in how I interpret that report.

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would think based on the documentation for hourly that it is taking the total for an hour and then getting the average which is getting displayed?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Personally, my guess is that it is not an average. Because I sometimes see our memory usage spike to 100% of capacity, and I doubt that we ever have a full hour during which memory usage is constantly at 100%.

I hope it's the MAX() from the hour, because then I would not be so worried that it spikes to 100% during some hours.

: )

And if it is point-in-time at the "top of the hour," every hour, that may not be a representative sample for me! Because we have frequent dataset refreshes which do not occur during the top of the hour. And I would like to measure our memory usage while those refreshes are occurring.

It seems there is no way for us to know, unless an engineer from Microsoft can tell us...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi there

I was fortunate to be chatting with someone from Microsoft and those are the Maximums per hour that are shown.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

u02cm62
Helper V
Helper V

I believe it to be point in time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors