Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Premium Capacity Metrics App Stopped Showing Datasets

I've been using the Premium Capacity Metrics App in a gen 1 capacity to display information about dataset metrics. This information is very important to us to plan capacity.

Recently I checked the app, and datasets have disappeared. I don't see any information about datasets and memory use. It is just a blank table.

Is this something that has happened to others? Are there other sources for dataset size? I checked powershell modules and found that I can get datasets listing, but not their size.

11 REPLIES 11
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi SeattlePowerBI,

Can you check if you are now on Premium Gen2? If the capacity has migrated to Premium Gen2, the Gen1 Capacity app will stop to function, and you need to get the Gen2 Capacity app.

Thank you for getting back to me. I checked and we are still on gen1 (haven't migrated yet).

Another reason is the app hasnt been use for a while, and it stops refreshing.

Just fyi, automatic Gen2 migration is happening soon and you cannot avoid it. And the Gen2 capacity metrics is pretty awesome!

I've been using the app just about every day. We use it to track capacity utilization and maintain use allocations for groups in our organization. 

Is there another source for memory use by workspace other than going through each workspace and getting memory use? There is a powershell module that can get me a list of datasets, but not their size, as far as I know. This would be very very helpful for admins.

Not that i know of. There are API that can pull the list of the datasets, workspace etc.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/scanner-api-is-now-in-ga/

But none that let us know the size of the datasets. Memory and size are all in the capacity metrics.

If you migrate to Gen2, you can get the data right away from Gen2 app. Migration is easy and the only thing you need to worry about is that Gen1 app will be disabled ( which you are experiencing right now)

As microsoft is preparing for the automatic migration, I am not surprised if that has somehow affected the current Gen1 app.

As a follow up, after not making any changes, the app is now populating again. I'm not sure why it is randomly populating and then not populating. Any guidance?

If you are on Premium Gen2 now, and you Gen1 capacity metric app is populating again, I would not rely on the Gen1 app. It could be a fluke that it is refreshing again, and we know Gen1 app is going to be deprecated.

Not on Gen2 yet

Are you planning to stick to Gen1? Microsoft has begun migrating Gen1 to Gen2.

There is a message in the admin center indicating that we will be migrated starting in March, but no date. I assume we'll be migrated eventually, but I don't have a specific date and would like to remain in gen 1 until that migration.

Yeah, one of these days that will take effect and you can leverage Gen2 app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors