Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CrownWorker
Helper I
Helper I

Premium Account - Sharing reports over Sharepoint between company organizational groups.

Hello,

We have begun using our premium account and run into a snag. I will try to describe it the best that I can. We created a report under the premium account they are shared to users. Then we embed that report into our Sharepoint site. I have tested this with pro users and non pro users with the same outcome.

The users outside of our corporate organization can view the report on the PowerBI site, I am also assuming they can view the report using the Mobile App. when they go to the sharepoint site where we have given them read access they can get to the page where the report is embedded. If they do not have access they get the appropriate error message stating they do not have access, however if they do have access they get a loading screen with the "PowerBI logo" that never finishes.... stays blinking

I have tested this with members of our within our organization group and both pro users and non pro users are able to open the applet. I believe this has something to do with the Sharepoint site and shares more than the premium account settings and shares at this point. I have looked through everything I can think of for permissions and do not see any reason why if a user is able to get to the page and has access to the embedded content it would fail to load for them but loads fine for someone else.

By organizational group I mean Sales / Service / Planning within the same company.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Solution was Found for this working through a support request with a Microsoft Rep assigned to the case.

The issue sharing reports in sharepoint that are built in powerbi across organizational units is that when we put in the link it needed to have the "sharedwithme" in the url rather than the powerBI url that is given when you go online to get it.

To try to explain this better I shared the file with my personal account from the organizational account and then when I opened it from power bi using the shared with me tab in my personal account and opened the report main page I then embedded that link into Sharepoint and others who were shared with could also then open this no matter if they were part of the organizational unit or not.

the url looks something like this.

https://app.powerbi.com/sharedwithme/dashboards/aca37195-af56-4891-be9e-df43eeb69126/reports/xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx/ReportSection2

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
apollnor
Advocate II
Advocate II

@CrownWorker This works but did they say anything regarding fixing this? They cant possibly mean that this is the correct way of doing it rather than a workaround right?

there was no further correspondence after this resolution was put forward.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CrownWorker,

Embedding a report in SharePoint Online does not automatically give users permission to view the report. The permissions to view the report are set within the Power BI service.

Important

Make sure to review who can see the report within the Power BI service and grant access to those not listed.

There are two ways to provide access to the report within the Power BI service. If you are using an Office 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, you list the user as a member of the app workspace within the Power BI service. This will make sure that users can view the contents of that group. For more information, see Create and distribute an app in Power BI.

Alternatively, you can grant users access to your report by doing the following.

1. Add a tile from the report to a dashboard.

2. Share the dashboard with the users that need access to the report. For more information, see Share a dashboard with colleagues and others.

Have you tried listing the users outside of your corporate organization as members of the app workspace within the Power BI service? 

If you have done that, but the issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

The Solution was Found for this working through a support request with a Microsoft Rep assigned to the case.

The issue sharing reports in sharepoint that are built in powerbi across organizational units is that when we put in the link it needed to have the "sharedwithme" in the url rather than the powerBI url that is given when you go online to get it.

To try to explain this better I shared the file with my personal account from the organizational account and then when I opened it from power bi using the shared with me tab in my personal account and opened the report main page I then embedded that link into Sharepoint and others who were shared with could also then open this no matter if they were part of the organizational unit or not.

the url looks something like this.

https://app.powerbi.com/sharedwithme/dashboards/aca37195-af56-4891-be9e-df43eeb69126/reports/xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx/ReportSection2

I had gone through that article, thank you though for sending it. Currently I have set up a call for support. When we find the answer I will post it so that others can get help if they run into the same thing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors